The good …

“New Girl”

I really like where this show is going. The pilot had its issues, but a lot of them were issues that can be ironed out once the show comes into its own. Zooey Deschanel’s awkwardness gives the show a real charm, and along with its strong ratings, led Fox execs to pick it up for a full season. Once “New Girl” blossoms, it could be a real hit.

“Fringe”

After catching the first two episodes of the fourth season of “Fringe,” I can say I’m fully obsessed. I admit I haven’t seen every episode of “Fringe,” but I’m getting there. I haven’t gotten to the point in the series where it starts getting into the parallel-universe storyline, but the crazier the sci-fi, the more I like it, so the two episodes I’ve seen in season four seem right up my alley. Plus, I do love me some Anna Torv (and John Noble, but not that way), so seeing two of her in every episode ain’t a bad thing.

“The Real World”

I have an unhealthy infatuation with “The Real World,” a show that my fandom is unfashionably late for by about 15 years, but that ain’t gonna stop me. The show returns to San Diego, a locale which provided plenty of drama when the show originally taped there in 2004. The cast is as cookie-cutter as always, but a masculine lesbian and flamboyant bisexual dude look to provide the same spark that revitalized the show last season.

And now the bad …

“The Office”

I assumed that “The Office” sans Steve Carell would be absolute rubbish. Based off the season premiere, that’s indeed the case — not because Carell left — because they chose Ed Helms to replace him. Granted, I do love Helms’ character, but it was a pathetically safe move to choose Andy, the character most like Carell’s Michael Scott, to replace him. Now we have an “Office” that’s just as stale as it has been the last few seasons, when it could have instead used Carell’s departure as a chance to spice things up.

“Family Guy”

Speaking of stale, “Family Guy” has been that way for ages now, and season 10 is the same. The season premiere was just as formulaic as the rest, not offering any real incentive to drop everything and watch. I want to give “Family Guy” a chance as it certainly has its moments of hilarity, but there’s just so much creative laziness involved when every episode feels too insignificant to bother with.

“House”

As one of my favorite shows, the decline of “House” has really been bothersome. After peaking at the end of season four, “House” has been in a tail spin since, focusing more on gag-worthy soap opera than the medical mystery. “House” is one of the few scripted shows that can get away with no sense of continuity, and it’s proving it now by trying continuity the last couple seasons. I saw the season premiere and it’s almost exactly like the season premieres of the last few seasons with little-to-no medicine involved. No thanks. Check The Lantern for our review of the season premiere Monday.