Home » News » OSU football player Jaamal Berry involved in assault

OSU football player Jaamal Berry involved in assault

Cody Cousino / Photo editor

Ohio State tailback Jaamal Berry was admitted and released from the OSU Medical Center Wednesday after what an OSU police report described as an “assault” on another student.

The incident occurred Wednesday morning on the South Oval by Enarson Hall. No charges were filed, and while the victim’s name was included in the police report, The Lantern has chosen not to name him. The report said the victim “sustained bruises on his neck from this event.”

Berry’s name was the only one blacked out of the report but multiple sources confirmed to The Lantern that he was the other student involved. The OSU police report listed the incident as an assault, a misdemeanor in the first degree, with use of weapons including “hands, feet, teeth.”

At about 10:25 a.m., two males were witnessed “wrestling on the ground” in the South Oval, according to the police report. The primary witness is a university employee who declined to comment, but said in the police report that Berry was muttering things such as “I don’t know what is going on around me.”

The report said Berry “appeared confused and disoriented and was unable to tell me his name.”

The OSU police officer on the scene observed that Berry was “mentally unable to provide me with any of his emergency contact information,” and Berry voluntarily went to the OSU emergency department.

The associate director of athletics communication, Jerry Emig, said the department is aware of the incident and do not know if it will affect his play in the game on Saturday.

“He’s had a number of tests from doctors to try to figure out what caused the incident,” Emig said. “Our primary concern is his health and well being.”

One of the witnesses requested to remain anonymous but spoke to The Lantern in an email. The witness said she “saw a student laying on the ground and a middle-aged woman standing above him asking if he was okay. The middle-aged woman said that the student on the ground had attacked another student. The student on the ground, who was later identified as Jaamal Berry, was clearly out of sorts and appeared to be quite disconnected from his surroundings.”

No alcohol was smelled or involved, according to the police report.

Attempts to reach the victim and another witness Thursday were unsuccessful.

OSU Deputy Police Chief Richard Morman said the department doesn’t “release information on people that would be considered an uncharged suspect.”

Berry was admitted to the emergency room Wednesday morning and was discharged, an operator at the OSU Medical Center confirmed to The Lantern Thursday evening. His reason for admittance was not able to released, she said.