Home » Sports » OSU men’s soccer shut out Hartwick, falls to Coastal Carolina

OSU men’s soccer shut out Hartwick, falls to Coastal Carolina

Andy Gottesman / Lantern photographer

The Ohio State men’s soccer team traveled to Conway, S.C., this weekend for the Coastal Carolina Tournament and left with mixed results.

Three OSU players, junior forward Chris Hegngi, sophomore forward Omar Vallejo and junior goalkeeper Matt Lampson, were named to the 2011 Coastal Carolina Tournament’s All-Tournament Team as the Buckeyes posted a 1-1 record in the competition.

The 24th-ranked Buckeyes impressed during their 3-0 victory against Hartwick College to open the tournament Friday evening, running the team’s winning streak to four games.

Junior midfielder Austin McAnena opened the scoring for OSU with a sixth-minute goal off an assist from freshman forward Kenny Cunningham. Hegngi then tallied for OSU in the eighth minute. Hegngi added a second goal in the 67th minute to become the first OSU player to score two goals in a contest since former Buckeye and recent Major League Soccer draftee Konrad Warzycha scored twice on Sep. 5, 2010, against Buffalo.

Lampson made four saves to preserve the shutout for OSU.

The Buckeyes’ winning streak was then snapped Sunday afternoon by tournament host Coastal Carolina University. Junior forward and tournament offensive MVP Ashton Bennett scored both goals for the Chanticleers in the 33rd and 64th minutes, respectively.

OSU (4-2-1) will next face the No. 3-ranked Louisville Cardinals on Wednesday at 7 p.m. at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium.