If you watched the Emmys last weekend, you will understand when I say red is the new black this season. With underlying old Hollywood inspiration, crimson filled the already-red carpet at Sunday’s 63rd Annual Emmy Awards, proving red truly is the must-have color this fall.

More than a dozen stars dressed for the night in scarlet gowns. The event’s color scheme launched online polls asking, “Who had the best red dress?” pitting actresses against one another.

Reporting from Los Angeles, E! News “Live from the Red Carpet” hosts Giuliana Rancic, Kelly Osbourne and George Kotsiopoulos joked it was the “year of the rear,” with many of the night’s dresses having an elegant mermaid silhouette that were fitting above the knee with a flare at the bottom, or slim-fitting silk gowns to accentuate curves.

Both “E! News” host Rancic and “Entertainment Tonight” host Nancy O’Dell wore red, while greeting the evening’s attendees.

This fall’s red trend stems from the fashion runways of Diane von Furstenberg, Givenchy, Gucci, Lanvin and Michael Kors, to name a few.

Other notable looks were Heidi Klum’s ruffled cocktail dress that was designed for her by Christian Siriano (“Project Runway” season four winner), “Glee” star Dianna Agron’s high-neck, cobalt Roksanda Ilincic gown and “Mad Men” star Christina Hendricks’ custom Swarovski crystal dress by Johanna Johnson.

Gwyneth Paltrow’s exposed midriff in her Pucci two-piece fueled fashion debates, while Zooey Deschanel’s Monique Lhuillier ball gown was questioned whether or not it fit the event.

Like all award shows, the Emmys succeeded in sparking fashion debates and solidifying current runway trends. It’s clear that red is “the” color this season — wearable on the runway and the red carpet. How will you step out in scarlet this fall?