DeVier Posey and Dan Herron

Receiver DeVier Posey and running back Dan Herron, both seniors, were expected to return from five-game suspensions this week. However, both players’ suspensions will be extended at least one more game because of additional violations, as announced by OSU athletic director Gene Smith on Monday.

First-year head coach Luke Fickell said that neither player is in danger of being dismissed from the team as of yet.

“This is still something that’s undergoing and I don’t know,” he said. “I don’t have all of the information that they are going through probably just as of yet. Not that I’ve seen anything that we wouldn’t want a guy around right now.”

Reinforcements arrive for the offensive line

Unlike Posey and Herron, left tackle Mike Adams is back for OSU. Beyond that, Adams is listed as a starter for Buckeyes’ offensive line on Saturday against Nebraska.

Adams’ arrival will be a welcome sight for his linemates, which allowed nine sacks against Michigan State last Saturday.

Injury Updates

Redshirt freshman receiver Verlon Reed, tied for second on the Buckeyes in receptions, has a torn ACL and will miss the rest of the season, Fickell said.

The banged-up receiving corps should be aided by the return of sophomore Corey “Philly” Brown this week, after he missed the last three games with a lower leg injury.

“We’ll see how he runs around out there (Tuesday),” Fickell said. “Hopefully he’ll be all right.”

Fickell said he is doubtful senior defensive lineman Nathan Williams will play this Saturday.

Senior defensive end Solomon Thomas, who is returning from his five-game suspension this week, is not listed on the two-deep depth chart. However, Fickell said he expects Thomas to see playing time on Saturday, but did note that he is coming back from a broken leg in the Spring Game.

Captaincy carousel slowing down

Familiar faces are emerging among OSU’s weekly picks for game captains.

Senior center Mike Brewster will make his third appearance as a Buckeyes’ game captain on Saturday against Nebraska. Linebacker Andrew Sweat and defensive back Tyler Moeller are each making their second stint as captains.

Long leash for Braxton Miller

Fickell said freshman quarterback Braxton Miller will not have a “short hook” if he struggles against the No. 14-ranked Nebraska on Saturday.

“We don’t want a guy going in thinking that by any means,” Fickell said. “Braxton is the guy that right now is our starting quarterback, and you know, I would think hook-wise, we don’t want him to ever think that.”

Miller was pulled from last Saturday’s game against Michigan State at the end of the third quarter and replaced by redshirt senior Joe Bauserman.

Kickoff for the Buckeyes’ game at Nebraska is set for 8 p.m. and will be televised on ABC.