The annual Light up the Lake ceremony is ready to bring the holiday spirit to the Ohio State campus Thursday and surround Mirror Lake with more than 30,000 holiday lights.

The ceremony will begin at 7 p.m. at the Browning Amphitheater.

Ohio Staters Inc., a student organization promoting university traditions and student involvement, has been preparing for the event since early summer, said Erika Ward, a second-year in sociology and event co-chair.

The event has been held every year since 2003, and this year, 30,000 to 40,000 lights are wrapped around the trees along Mirror Lake and the Browning Amphitheater. The University Facilities Operations and Development and about 32 students helped hang white and multicolor lights Sunday and Wednesday, said Julia DiFiore, event co-chair and third-year in biology.

The meaning of hanging up the lights each year is more than mere decorations for the Ohio Staters.

“The goal is to have each light represent each student on campus and we hope to reach 50,000 lights in the future,” Ward said.

The ceremony will feature guest speaker and women’s basketball assistant coach, Patrick Klein, and it will conclude at Mirror Lake, where students will light candles and sing “Carmen Ohio.”

Off the Lake Productions, Buck That!, OSU men’s a cappella group, and the OSU Women’s Glee Club are also scheduled to perform during the ceremony. Starbucks will be providing hot chocolate for students in attendance.

Lindsay Seitz, former co-chair and fourth-year in human development and family sciences, has helped put up lights for the past four years.

“I have definitely perfected my light hanging skills over the years and I think it’s a great tradition to be part of,” Seitz said. “It’s great to be giving something back to the OSU community.”

The Mirror Lake jump delayed testing of the lights.

“Lights were tested in the last couple of Sundays, but because of the Mirror Lake Jump we had to wait,” Seitz said.

University Facilities Operations and Development helps fund and cover costs for the lights, supplies, and electrical preparations.

This year they made a donation of $500, Ward said.

FOD was not available for comment.

Vincent Mora, a third-year in economics, has never attended the event and hopes to go and see what its about.

“I think it’s a great idea to for campus to look beautiful and at its best, especially during the holidays,” Mora said.