Build it and they will come. Or in this case, buy drums and they will come.

That is how the members of Columbus-native alternative indie band, Alert New London, said they began their journey in the Columbus music scene. That journey has led them to making music all over the U.S. and releasing their debut album, “Youth,” at Kobo Live 9 p.m on Nov. 11.

The band began its journey in 2008. Members Cory Nicol, Dave Woodrow, Jim Fowler, Stephen Lee and Gavin McKenzie explained how the band creates its sound.

“Back in 2008, Cory and I lived together and were going to Ohio State,” Fowler said. “When Cory’s band fell apart, we started playing for fun. Then it snowballed and by the next year, we all were together. I didn’t own drums, so I bought the drums as I needed them for our songs.”

By the time Fowler acquired all of the drums to make a set, ANL was in full force.

ANL’s first gig was at the Lodge Bar  in the Arena District. Once the band started recording, it acquired a larger fan base. Last year, Fowler said the band headlined at the Newport and have also performed in surrounding states.

Current OSU student and band member, David Woodrow, has been telling students in his classes at OSU to come out and support ANL and the other bands that will be performing. Woodrow said all students will find a connection to the music.

“‘Youth’ is about the kids I go to school with,” Woodrow said. “It’s what we are and it is about youth experiences, all that ANL worked on ‘Youth’ 15 months and used six studios to produce the album.”

“Youth” consists of 11 tracks with the single, “Silverdrive.” ANL wanted to produce an album that brought them back to their roots and hope the songs of “Youth” take listeners down Columbus streets.

“Silver Drive is actually a road around Crew Stadium,” Nicol said. “The song itself is more upbeat, but listeners need to listen to the whole album because we offer different listeners different things. When the people in the back of clubs hear ‘Youth,’ they’ll be jamming.”

Sheena Hanscel, a third-year in psychology, doesn’t see the uniqueness that ANL brings to Columbus and admits that she’s not jamming to the beat just yet.

“Their genre was very popular at one point,” Hanscel said. “But now, it’s dying out with all of the local bands trying to do the same thing.”

For some fans, ANL’s effort of building their band, one drum at a time, and jumping into Columbus’ alternative scene paid off.

Austin Wiezbiski, a fourth-year in theater, is interested in uncovering more about the group because he says its genre pushes the creativity of the local music in Columbus.

“The music aspects are complex,” Wiezbiski said. “It’s a mix of intricate music style with unique combinations of lyrics. That’s what evolves the musical skill to get out of the pigeon-holed and bring a new vibe to the music.”