In light of recent robberies in the campus area, President E. Gordon Gee sent an email to Ohio State faculty, staff and students Thursday evening about the plan to form a team of officials to help ensure student safety.

“I have convened a small team of senior University leaders — from Student Life, Public Safety, and other areas — to provide recommendations for a comprehensive program that will help to ensure our students’ safety,” Gee wrote in the email.

Gee said he was aware of the problem at hand involving the robberies and said he would be doing “everything possible to provide safety and well-being” of students.

Gee’s full email:

Dear Students and Colleagues:

I write to let you know my plans for addressing the recent incidents of crime occurring in the areas adjacent to our campus. I have convened a small team of senior University leaders — from Student Life, Public Safety, and other areas — to provide recommendations for a comprehensive program that will help to ensure our students’ safety. The team’s recommendations are due to me next week, and we will begin implementing new strategies the following week. Clearly, we will do everything possible to provide for the safety and well-being of our students. That is our shared commitment for the foundation of a University community.

Sincerely,

E. Gordon Gee

President

At around 7 p.m. Wednesday, two OSU students were robbed at gunpoint on East Woodruff Avenue. The university has sent two Timely Warnings for armed robberies near the campus area in the last week. The university did not send a Timely Warning for the robbery that occurred Wednesday evening.

Gee said the proposals for the team’s recommendations are due to him by next week, and that new strategies will be implemented in the following week.