Boy meets girl. They get married and begin to make music, literally.

About 20 years ago, Karin Bergquist and Linford Detweiler created the Cincinnati-based band named after the Cincinnati neighborhood, Over the Rhine. When they became a couple, they discovered that there was something more than a romantic chemistry. Taking the name of their neighborhood, Bergquist and Detweiler formed their folk-pop band and have since been making music across the United States.

Currently, Over the Rhine is touring across the U.S. to promote its new album, “The Long Surrender.” The band will bring its music to Columbus at 8 p.m. Wednesday at the Lincoln Theatre.

Detweiler said that over the 20 years they have been together, Over the Rhine has come from nowhere to having the gift of sharing their music with the band’s fans.  

“We began making records in the ’90s after meeting in college, because we discovered that we could change a room with our music,” Detweiler said. “After some success, we bought a house on a farm six or seven years ago that we call ‘Nowhere Farm’ to go to write music and relax.”

The husband-and-wife band works together to compose their music, Detweiler said. Along with the band’s musicians, he plays the keyboard. He said that his wife’s voice enhances the group’s sound by bringing pain and soul to the music.

“I love singers that sing from the place where their pain is,” Detweiler said. “My wife is a true soul singer. When people hear her, they hear something that they have forgot. Her voice is the (focal)  point, it’s a beautiful voice.”

The beautiful sounds of the music is what attracts Kelsey Pierce, a second-year in speech and hearing sciences. Pierce feels the sounds of the instruments and the voices in the music is addicting.

“The music is more soothing,” Pierce said. “It’s not as hard as rock, which is why is listen to it all the time.”

Ryan Teng, a third-year in economics, said he hasn’t heard of the group, but its story seems interesting to him.

“It’s cool that they are from Ohio,” Teng said. “I may need some more convincing on their music, but it’s unique that they married and created their band on their relationship.”