Home » Sports » Four Ohio State football players to play in Senior Bowl

Four Ohio State football players to play in Senior Bowl

Four seniors from the 2011-12 Ohio State football team will participate in the 2012 Senior Bowl.

Offensive linemen Mike Adams and Mike Brewster, running back Daniel “Boom” Herron and wide receiver DeVier Posey will play in the event scheduled for Jan. 28 in Mobile, Ala.

“This will mark the 11th straight year that Ohio State University has been represented in our game,” said Senior Bowl president and CEO, Steve Hale. “All four of these players are deserving of this opportunity to showcase their talents in front of the top decision makers in the National Football League.”

Washington Redskins coach Mike Shanahan and his assistants will coach the South team and Minnesota Vikings coach Leslie Frazier and his staff will coach the North squad.

The four OSU seniors helped contribute to a 39-13 record over the past four years including wins in the Rose Bowl in 2010 and the Sugar Bowl in 2011.

The seniors also were a part of arguably the most tumultuous time period in OSU football history, which included the departure of former head coach Jim Tressel and the announcement of new head coach Urban Meyer. The entire 2010-11 season in which the Buckeyes went 12-1 and won the Sugar Bowl was vacated after it was discovered some players, including Herron, Adams and Posey, received improper benefits in exchange for tattoos.

Herron was suspended a total of five games in 2011 for his part in the scandal and suspended an additional game for getting paid for work he didn’t perform.

In the season’s final seven games, Herron rushed for 675 yards and three touchdowns. He leaves OSU as the school’s 10th leading rusher all-time with 2,869 yards. He also ranks eighth all-time with 33 career touchdowns.

Adams was also suspended for the first five games of the 2011 season for his part in the tattoo scandal. He started 25 games in his OSU career and was selected as a 2010 first-team all-Big Ten pick by the coaches and the media.

From the fourth game of his freshman year, Brewster started 49 consecutive games at center. He was picked as a 2010 first-team All-American by the Football Writers Association of America.

Posey was suspended a total of ten games in the 2011 season for receiving improper benefits for tattoos and being compensated for work he didn’t perform. He finished his career with 136 receptions for 1,955 yards, which rank sixth and eighth respectively all-time at OSU.

The four players will travel to Mobile, Ala., for a week of practices before the game. Kickoff is set for 3 p.m. at Ladd-Peebles Stadium.