With the emergence of college-style websites, 2011 seemed to have produced a more fashionable campus. This past year, I saw fewer sweatpants and UGG combinations than in years past, and I couldn’t be happier. However, there is always room for improvement.

Remembering that fashions continuously change but personal style is a statement, I challenge students to start off 2012 with their own list of style resolutions and truly develop a unique style.

These are my New Year’s resolutions for Ohio State.

1. Winter is gloomy — add pops of color to your outerwear

While pea coats are great for layering and the work-to-class transition, the standard black tends to grow weary as the snow falls into March. Adding bold solids to your outerwear will help brighten your day and give you a boost of confidence by contrasting against the crowd of neutrals.

2. Take pride in your shoes

Few elements of clothing say more about a person than their shoes. Winter exaggerates that reality, with salt stains, fur-lined boots and ill-prepared flats. Stable boots should be an early 2012 priority. Spring and summertime is a bit more lenient in terms of durability, but maintaining cared-for shoes should be of equal importance.

3. Realizing we are a Big Ten school, use discretion when wearing sweatpants on campus

The bane of existence for many stylish students is sweatpants. With such an athletic student body, many students wear the same thing to class as they would to the gym. Being comfortable doesn’t have to mean yoga pants. Putting a bit more effort and thought into your daily outfits will carry you far in 2012 and convey a sense of professionalism to those you interact with.

4. Take time to find your perfect jean fit (and a reminder: leggings are not pants)

Nothing flatters more than a well-fitting pant. The search for your best fit does not always have to come with a high price tag, but it does take time and effort. Sewing patterns (and body shapes) change from year to year, so don’t assume jeans will fit just like your pair from last year. And remember, most retailers acknowledge their jeans will need tailoring, so don’t shy away from a few extra inches in length for a great fit in the waist. They were designed that way. While a hassle, spending an afternoon at the mall might give you a new outlook on 2012.

5. When in doubt, go for refined, classy pieces

There is a reason certain wardrobe pieces become staples. Fill this year with classy button-downs, simple pants and cardigans, but build modern outfits using bold bags and bright statement jewelry. Building a closet of classics will carry you well through college and beyond.