A new year is a new beginning; reminiscing about the ending year leads to making plans for a better, brighter year ahead. Calendars are purchased, sauerkraut is eaten and resolutions for the coming year are formed in a reflection on everything you wish you had gotten to earlier.

Or for some, they are made at the gym.

New Year’s resolutions come in all shapes and sizes, but for many Ohio State students, they come in the shape of a smaller pant size, bigger biceps, a faster mile, or a better dunk. And all of these resolutions can be accomplished at the gym.

Monday the RPAC was crowded with people getting started on their new year’s resolutions.

“I don’t work out at all, so my buddy and I came (to the RPAC) today. I want to work out more this year,” said Chase Cockrell, a second-year in aviation.

Other students have similar aspirations to hit the gym more in 2012.

“I’m trying to go to the gym more than three times a week this quarter to get fit. You just feel better about yourself when you work out,” said Jill Tucker, a second-year in human development and family science.

Students who already have strong fitness habits are hoping to stay on track through the next year.

“I started my current fitness routine in December; I was trying to avoid putting on any weight over the holidays. Now that the holidays are over though, I want to keep it going,” said Melanie Croyle, a fourth-year in accounting and finance.

Getting in shape and losing weight are among the nation’s most popular New Year’s resolutions, and this often leads to an increase in gym membership sales and facility usage in the early months of the year.

RPAC employees said they anticipate a heightened number of people using university facilities this month.