While there are countless numbers of ways to eat healthy and stay fit, a study by the National College Health Assessment found that 38 percent of college students are either overweight or obese.

Students at Ohio State are finding ways to ensure wellness during their time at college. Janele Bayless, nutrition counselor at the Student Wellness Center, said there are many ways to stay fit while on campus.

“There are over 75 clubs and intramural sports for students to join and stay active,” Bayless said.

Kristen Henne, a third-year in English, said she uses every-day activities to improve her overall wellness.

“I walk to classes, I don’t take the bus. It helps me to maintain my weight,” Henne said.

Bayless encourages students to think outside the box with activities such as rollerblading, snowboarding and even playing interactive video games.

“I had a student lose 70 pounds playing Dance Dance Revolution,” Bayless said.

Justin Brammer, a fourth-year in human development and family science, said he walks his dog for exercise on a regular basis, and that helps him stay active.

Bayless said there are several keys to staying healthy, but she said the best thing for one individual can be different for another. She said it can range from a workout video and quick exercise moves to a set exercise routine.

Brammer said he doesn’t have a set routine, but remains conscious of healthy decisions.

“I don’t have a set workout routine. I eat a lot of fruit, veggies and yogurt,” Brammer said.

In addition to an active lifestyle, Bayless said food consumption is a big part of avoiding obesity.

“Only about 6 percent of students get the recommended serving amount, three or more of the five food groups per meal,” Bayless said. “Listen to hunger cues and occupy yourself while you are waiting to feel hungry again.”

A recent study by scientists at OSU found persistent exposure to light at night can lead to late-night eating. Henne said despite being up late, she has found ways to avoid the late-night temptation.

“I just don’t snack or eat late at night,” Henney said. “And I prepare my meals instead of going out to eat.”

However, a recent study by OSU scientists found that there is more to obesity than food intake and exercise. Exposure to pollution, long exposure to stress, relationship issues and poor time management.

“OSU offers a counseling and consultation service to help students experiencing these issues,” Bayless said.