The Ohio State wrestling team suffered its first two losses of the season to the Nebraska Cornhuskers and Minnesota Golden Gophers this weekend.

The Buckeyes, who entered Friday night’s contest against Nebraska undefeated, were beaten, 18-16, in Lincoln, Neb., and again defeated, 24-13, at Minnesota Sunday afternoon.

Minnesota seized control of the dual early by winning the first six matches, which left the Buckeyes down, 18-0, at intermission.

It wasn’t until freshman Hunter Stieber scored an 11-8 decision against Minnesota redshirt freshman Nick Dardanes in the 141-pound match up that the Buckeyes finally got on the board.

OSU mounted a comeback behind victories from freshman Cam Tessari, who pinned Minnesota redshirt freshman Dylan Ness in the 149-pound match, and freshman Josh Demas scored a 13-5 major decision at 157-pounds.

In the final match of the afternoon, OSU freshman Derek Garcia dropped a 5-3 decision to the Golden Gopher’s redshirt junior Cody Yohn at 165-pounds, sealing a 24-13 win for

Minnesota.

The Buckeyes dropped to 7-2 overall and 1-2 in the Big Ten while Minnesota improved to 5-2 and 2-0.

OSU was able to split the victories in the dual, 5-5, but was edged as Nebraska managed to outscore the Buckeyes, 3-1, in major decisions.

Freshman Johnni Dijulius, redshirt freshman Logan Stieber, Tessari, redshirt sophomore Nick Heflin and freshman Andrew Campolattano all collected wins for OSU.

While the Buckeyes trailed the Cornhuskers early, 3-0, Dijulius, a true freshman, was able to score a major decision, 11-3, against Nebraska’s Shawn Nagel at 125-pounds to put OSU up, 4-3.

At 133-pounds, redshirt freshman Logan Stieber helped the Buckeyes build a slim 7-3 lead with an 8-2 decision against Ridge Kiley.

Up next at 141-pounds, freshman Hunter Stieber surrendered a major decision to Nebraska’s Jake Sueflohn which left the Buckeyes tied, 7-7, before OSU redshirt freshman Tessari scored a takedown in overtime which again gave OSU the lead, 10-7.

OSU would only manage to win one of the next four matches, which gave Nebraska an 18-13 lead with only the Buckeyes’ redshirt sophomore Heflin defeating Nebraska’s Tyler Koehn, 6-2, at the 174-pound weight class.

Campolattano finished the dual in the 197-pound weight class with a 5-3 decision against James Nakashima.

OSU will look to redeem itself and continue its march toward a Big Ten title against fellow Big Ten member Purdue this Thursday at 7 p.m. at St. John Arena.

The Boilermakers, also coming off a loss, are 6-5 overall with a 1-1 record in the Big Ten. Purdue managed only three wins out of 10 matches in their previous dual at home against Illinois.