Ohio State freshman quarterback Braxton Miller was chosen Friday as the 2011 National Freshman Performer of the Year.

The College Football Performance Awards organization selects its honorees based on the player’s improvement to the overall effectiveness of his team.

During the 2011 season, Miller, who was not made available for comment, threw for 1,159 yards and completed 54.1 percent of his passes. Thirteen passes led to touchdowns, a freshman school record.

Miller closed his first 10 games as a starter for OSU with season-high records against Michigan and Florida despite losses in both games. He threw for 235 yards at Michigan Stadium and earned a 78.3 completion percentage in the Taxslayer.com Gator Bowl.

He also led the team in rushing with 715 yards and seven touchdowns on the ground. He averaged 4.5 yards per carry on the season.

Miller claimed team-best statistics when he ran for over 100 yards three times against Penn State, Indiana and Michigan.

He also broke the record for the longest scoring run by a quarterback with 82 yards.

Miller averaged 59.6 rushing yards and 96.6 passing yards per game.

The award comes in the form of a crystal trophy that stands 22 inches tall and includes an eight-inch crystal football on top.

Previous National Freshman Performer of the Year award winners include South Carolina’s Marcus Lattimore in 2010 and Oregon’s LaMichael James in 2009.

The Huber Heights, Ohio, native has been honored more than once for his efforts in the 2011 season.

In December, Miller was awarded OSU football’s Archie Griffin outstanding offensive player award and voted the team’s most outstanding first-year offensive player by OSU coaches.

The Big Ten Conference announced in late November that Miller would be the recipient of the 2011 Thompson-Randle El Freshman of the Year award as well.

Miller, a communication major, tweeted a simple “Thank u !!” early Saturday morning.