With an alien-like curiosity, fascinating musical skills and an overwhelming amount of humor, the Blue Man Group lived up to expectations.

The painted trio performed for a near-full house at the Palace Theatre Tuesday as part of its interactive theatrical tour.

Never having seen the Blue Man Group, I didn’t know what to expect. All I knew was there were going to be fluorescent paint and PVC pipes, but I didn’t realize how funny the show would be.

Overall, the show was impressive as well as humorous. The audience, members of which ranged from children to the elderly, were almost constantly laughing at the antics the men in blue put on.

The Blue Men showed off their artistic skills painting canvases by beating drums that were covered in paint, as well as spitting paint onto the canvases.

Front row audience members were then given the few paintings that were made.

Audience participation was a key element of the show. The painted actors wove through the aisles looking for someone to help with the next scene: a very awkward date.

The girl they chose went reluctantly on stage where there was a table set with four places. There, the men in blue tried impressing the hesitant assistant while keeping the audience in constant laughter.

The unwilling date was not the only audience member brought to the stage.

There was a man who was taken up and put into coveralls and a motorcycle helmet. From there he was led backstage by one member of the Blue Man Group. Front stage, there was a video feed that said “live back stage.”

Audiences were led to believe that the volunteer was backstage, hung from his feet and thrown against a seven-foot canvas and splattered with paint.

However, this act had some flaws.

The audience member who was pulled on stage had very short hair that was completely covered by the helmet. The person in the backstage feed had hair poking out from the bottom of the helmet.

Beside the hair issue, the timing was off, but those weren’t the only flaws of the scene. When the original audience member was brought back to stage, the coveralls he had on were painted, but the paint was dry.

This one misleading moment, though, did not take away from the rest of the show.

From there, the Blue Man Group impressively played its famous PVC pipes. The group played its own music and pop songs, such as Lady Gaga’s “Bad Romance.”

Through its musical approach, the painted men were able to incorporate humor and even a science lesson on how the eye works. It was more interesting than any high school science class I’ve ever had.

The Blue Men still had more audience participation in store. On the massive screen behind them, “rock concert movements” that everyone always knows were listed. Classic moves, such as “the one-arm fist pump,” were listed, as well as “raising the roof,” which the audience did on cue.

Others were obviously meant as jokes that the Blue Man Group would attempt themselves, such as the “behind-the-head leg stretch,” or getting a closer look at the audience.

The show ended by transforming the theater into a dance club, with the last rock movement meant for the audience to stand up and shake their “hind quarters,” as giant beach balls were thrown from the stage and bounced over the audience.