Home » Sports » Buyer beware: Ohio State men’s basketball facing counterfeit ticket problem

Buyer beware: Ohio State men’s basketball facing counterfeit ticket problem

There’s a counterfeiter on the loose — so have your wits about you when purchasing tickets for Ohio State men’s basketball.

The OSU athletic department acknowledged a recent uptick in the number of counterfeit tickets that have appeared at the turnstiles for men’s hoops games this season in a Thursday statement.

OSU athletics spokesman Dan Wallenberg said the counterfeiters are reproducing season-ticket ticket stubs. Wallenberg said the fake tickets are convincing.

“About 50 tickets a game are found to be counterfeit,” Wallenberg said in an email to The Lantern. “They are high quality reproductions.”

The Thursday release from OSU said fans are encouraged to purchase tickets directly from the university, ohiostatebuckeyes.com or Ticketmaster.

Two of the Buckeyes’ four remaining home games are sold out — the team’s Feb. 11 date with Michigan State and the game against Wisconsin on Feb. 25 or 26 — and fans should use the Buckeyes’ TicketExchange on the athletics website, the release said.

Ohio State Police did not immediately respond The Lantern’s request for comment regarding the counterfeit tickets.

OSU returns to action with a Saturday away game against the Badgers, which is set to tip at 2 p.m. OSU’s next home game is Tuesday against Purdue. Two-thousand tickets are still available for purchase for the game against the Boilermakers.