Home » A+E » Commentary: Miranda Lambert fires shots at Chris Brown’s Grammy numbers

Commentary: Miranda Lambert fires shots at Chris Brown’s Grammy numbers

Courtesy of MCT

Nicki Minaj’s outlandish performance Sunday wasn’t the only aspect of the 54th annual Grammy Awards that some people found unsettling. Country musician Miranda Lambert had a particularly hard time understanding why Chris Brown was such a prominent figure of the evening.

On Monday, the singer tweeted “Chris Brown twice? I don’t get it. He beat on a girl,” and “Not cool that we act like that didn’t happen. He needs to listen to Gunpowder and lead and be put back in his place. Not at the Grammys.”

“Gunpowder and Lead” is a song Lambert co-wrote in 2007, expressing her plans to shoot her abusive husband when he is released from jail. While this might sound a little cruel, I can’t say I completely disagree.

If Lambert was truly suggesting Brown be shot for his actions, then I would say she’s gone a little crazy, but I don’t think that is the case. She was merely showing Brown that some women are capable of fending for themselves and wouldn’t think twice to do so. It was her way of telling him that just because he got away with it once doesn’t mean he will again.

Personally, I believe Lambert was completely in the right on this one. I respect Brown for his music and talent, but as a human being, I think he has a lot to prove. Any man who lays a hand on a woman is a coward. They lack not only self-control and self-respect, but respect for others as well. I don’t think his punishment was severe enough, and I definitely think it was too soon for him to be a Grammy performer, let alone twice in one night, as if he was being awarded for accomplishing an impossible feat.

Look at the situation on a local level. If somebody in our community breaks the law, especially when an act is directed towards someone else, we are not quick to forgive. If they beat a woman or child, we label them and look at them in a completely different light. But because of his celebrity caliber and his dashing good looks, a majority of the country is willing to turn the other cheek. We like to think that celebrities live this fantasy life and that the negative things they do don’t really happen, but I can assure you this is not the case.

Brown is a human being, and his actions only further proved that. No matter how much fame or fortune you have, you can mess up. He was treated with leniency because he is a public figure and has a lot more proving to do to earn my respect not only as a person, but especially as a man.

Kudos to you, Lambert, for being brave enough to say what a lot of us were thinking.