This is the first post as part of “The Beat,” our new arts and entertainment blog that will bring you immediate reaction to breaking news around the entertainment industry.

The idea of a collaboration between Lil Wayne and Limp Bizkit might be a lot closer to reality than anyone had ever imagined … or wanted.

Lil Wayne announced Thursday on 98.7 KissFM in New York that the Fred Durst-led band had been signed to his label, Cash Money Records, in essence joining the Young Money roster that includes Wayne, Drake and Nicki Minaj, among others.

Durst took to Twitter in a fashion only he could, confirming the news Friday by exclaiming, “Rock s— doesn’t rock anymore! They say the whole game done went pop so I’m back in this ho! #CMLB.”

Cash Money Records must be rolling in said cash money to take a gamble on a band that is, for all intents and purposes, washed up. The band was on hiatus for four years before coming out of the woodwork in 2009 to release a mediocre album and go on tour, presumably to do it all for the nookie.

That’s not a stretch to imagine, as the label has had some major commercial success over the past two years. Albums from Drake, Minaj and Wayne himself have all been certified at least at platinum level, for better or worse.

Whether or not this reinvigorates an act that has likely past its prime – I have a hard time differentiating between Durst and the lead singer of Smash Mouth, which isn’t a good thing for anyone – remains to be seen, but it seems like a huge gamble at best. Plus, words can’t begin to describe how awful the idea of a collaboration between Wayne, Limp Bizkit and Minaj, who has seemingly fallen off her rocker, sounds.

In other news, DMX, who is apparently still relevant, appeared on Power 105.1 FM in New York Thursday, taking shots at Drake. (By the way, Drake was just on campus, as a matter of fact. Click here to read our review of his tour stop.)

“I don’t like anything about Drake,” DMX said. “I don’t like his f—ing voice. I don’t like the s– he talks about. I don’t like his face. I don’t like the way he walks. Nothing. I don’t like his haircut.”

There you have it. DMX hates Drake’s haircut. Death blow.

I admit I’ve never been particularly fond of Drake, especially his softer stuff, but waging a war with him likely won’t get DMX far. Granted, Drake’s had issues with beefs, especially after Common shut him down by calling him “Canada dry,” but in the rap game, it’s about album sales, and Drake has a lot more clout there right now than DMX will likely ever have again.  

Apparently he’s not too fond of Rick Ross, either.

“He just talks about eating too much,” DMX said. “How much can one n—- eat?”

Yikes. It appears ‘X is really gon’ give it to ya, even if he’s washed up, too.