Home » A+E » Hip-hop dominates OUAB’s Spring Quarter calendar

Hip-hop dominates OUAB’s Spring Quarter calendar

30 p.m. April 2 in the Ohio Union’s Archie M. Griffin Grand Ballroom.

The Ohio Union Activities Board revealed its Spring Quarter lineup during Spring Break, and while the lineup is hip-hop heavy, it features a variety of acts from circus performances to science experiments.

Grammy Award-winning rapper Common will deliver a lecture about “self-empowerment, activism and the world of hip-hop,” according to OUAB’s website. The event is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. April 2 in the Ohio Union’s Archie M. Griffin Grand Ballroom.

Tickets are scheduled to be released at 5 p.m. Monday at the Ohio Union Information Center. Students can receive one ticket per valid BuckID.

In recent months, the Chicago-native Common, who has released acclaimed albums such as “Be,” entered a public battle with fellow rapper Drake. The two artists exchanged insults over the course of several songs, escalating with Common referring to Drake as “Canada dry” in a remix of a Rick Ross song that featured Drake, titled “Stay Schemin’.”

Rappers J. Cole and Big K.R.I.T. are scheduled to perform at the BuckeyeThon Benefit Concert at 8 p.m. April 30 in the Ohio Union’s Archie M. Griffin Grand Ballroom. The concert is part of his Campus Consciousness Tour.

Tickets are scheduled to be released at 5 p.m. April 2 at the Ohio Union Performance Hall. Students can receive one per BuckID for $10 and the proceeds will benefit Nationwide Children’s Hospital.

J. Cole rose to fame in 2011 when he released his first album, “Cole World: Sideline Story” in September. Cole, who is signed by Jay-Z’s Roc Nation label, was nominated for Best New Artist at this year’s Grammy Awards but lost to Bon Iver.

Childish Gambino, led by actor Donald Glover of “Community,” is scheduled to come to Columbus as part of his Camp Tour. He is scheduled to perform at 8 p.m. May 7 at the Lifestyle Communities Pavilion.

Tickets are scheduled to be released at 5 p.m. April 4 at the Ohio Union Information Center. Students can receive one ticket per valid BuckID.

Apart from playing Troy Barnes on “Community,” Glover has also served as a writer on “The Daily Show” and “30 Rock.” In 2010, he campaigned on Twitter to audition for the role of Peter Parker in the upcoming film, “The Amazing Spider-Man,” but the role ultimately went to Andrew Garfield. He recently had to postpone some tour stops because he broke his foot while performing March 10 in Tampa, Fla.

“Childish Gambino’s following is very large and diverse,” said Kayla Wood, OUAB collaborative events chair, in an email. “The feedback we have received so far has been amazing and the students seem to be very excited for May 7th.”

Comedian Vanessa Bayer and writer John Mulaney of “Saturday Night Live” are scheduled to perform at 8 p.m. April 18 in the Ohio Union Performance Hall.

Bayer has performed as Kourtney Kardashian and Miley Cyrus on “Saturday Night Live.” Mulaney has appeared on the show’s “Weekend Update” segment and released his own stand-up album titled “The Pop Tart.”

Tickets are scheduled to be released at 12 p.m. Friday at the Ohio Union Performance Hall. Students can receive one ticket per valid BuckID.

Television host Giuliana Rancic, who is most known for reporting celebrity news on E! and her fight with breast cancer, is scheduled to appear at 7 p.m. April 9 in the Ohio Union Performance Hall. The event is presented in conjunction with Scarlet, Gray & Pink: A Walk for Stefanie Spielman to promote breast cancer awareness.

Tickets were released at 5 p.m. Sunday at the Ohio Union Information Center. Students can receive one ticket per valid BuckID.

Bill Nye, who hosted the popular ’90s kids’ show “Bill Nye the Science Guy,” is scheduled to appear at 7 p.m. May 21 in the Ohio Union’s Archie M. Griffin Grand Ballroom. Tickets are scheduled to be released at 5 p.m. May 2 at the Ohio Union Information Center.

The Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus are scheduled to perform at 7 p.m. May 10 at the Schottenstein Center. There will also be an Animal Open House before the show at 6:30 p.m.

Tickets are scheduled to be released at 5 p.m. April 16 at the Ohio Union Information Center.

Some students had mixed reactions to the lineup.

“It sounds like it’d be interesting to a wide range of people. … (There are) lesser-known names but they may become bigger, so it might be like something they look back on, like, ‘Hey, I saw that guy before they were really big,'” said Kyle Davis, a third-year in criminology. “It’s a different mix.”

Gabriella Hernandez, a second-year in biological engineering, said not many of the acts appealed to her.

“I’m sure there’s people on campus who know who they are and they probably think they’re sweet, but personally (none of them appeal to me),” Hernandez said.

Chelsea Castle contributed to this story.