Finding the words to describe most musicians isn’t easy. Mindless Self Indulgence has had many writers and reviewers at a loss for words for years.

Mindless Self Indulgence is scheduled to don its costumes and turn up its amps at 7 p.m. Wednesday at Newport Music Hall.

Vocalist and programmer of Mindless Self Indulgence, James “Jimmy Urine” Euringer, said the band’s music is hard to classify and many have struggled to do so.

“The classifications are very hard to put on it,” Euringer said. “It’s funny because anytime anybody’s ever tried to classify it, it’s always just, ‘This band meets this band on this planet on this drug.'”

Mindless Self Indulgence is the culmination of a group of friends with a variety of interests and some musical talent thrown in. The band is made up of Euringer, guitarist Steve “Steve Righ?” Montano, bassist Lindsey “LynZ” Way and drummer Jennifer “Kitty” Dunn.

Euringer said he wanted to put together a group of people he enjoyed spending time with and use their talents to make music.

“There were things we wanted to hear and there were things we wanted to see and that’s why we made the band,” Euringer said.

“And it just sort of became what our sound was.”

The members bring in elements from their interests to implement into MSI’s music.

“If somebody read a book two days ago or saw some f—in’ movie or modded a f—in’ Atari … we all want to hang out and talk about s— like that, so when we’re on the bus that’s what we’re talking about … that really is what drives us, hanging out and talking s— about cool stuff,” Euringer said.

Though MSI prides itself on being innovative, Euringer said it comes with blessings and curses.

“I think it’s a double-edged sword of being so unique that you end up standing out, but the things that make you unique are the things that hold you back at the same time,” Euringer said.

MSI was formed in 1997. The band has since developed a cult-like following, partially because of how the band interacts with fans, Euringer said.

Euringer often jumps into the audience or meets with fans after performances.

“Why would I f—ing charge someone 500 bucks to sign a poster?” Euringer said.

Christina Lindner, a first-year in pre-communication, said she would’ve gone to the concert, but she’ll be out of town for Spring Break.

“I’ve never had the chance to see them before this,” Lindner said.

Lindner said one of her favorite MSI songs is “Shut Me Up.”

“(They’re) really weird but in a cool, alternative techno kind of way,” Lindner said.