Macy Gray has released her sixth studio album “Covered,” and the title of the album gives a pretty good hint of what to expect.

Every song on the album is a cover from another artist. The songs range from all different types of genres, but Gray reproduces each song in her own special way.

Gray has produced some great material of her own hit songs, such as “I Try” and “Still.” Her music has always given off a love-it-or-hate-it type of vibe. Nonetheless, talented songwriter Gray poured the same passion into these songs the way she has in the past with her own hits.

Most covers are identical in tune and lyrics to the original song. Gray did not stick to those guidelines for her album. She took Colbie Caillat’s song, “Bubbly,” and sung it with a different piano tempo. Gray’s rendition of “Bubbly” featured actor and singer Idris Elba.

Gray also tackled Radiohead’s “Creep” and Metallica’s “Nothing Else Matters.” As an R&B and soul singer, Gray’s raspy but smooth voice fits well with the rock songs.

For My Chemical Romance’s song “Teenagers,” Gray slows it down and adds piano. It has a marching band sound to it, which adds quirkiness to the already eye-opening lyrics.

One song that could have been left alone was Kanye West’s “Love Lockdown.” The original song is already out of left field, so Gray’s remake is a tad unorganized and choppy. The song seemed rushed, but it does hold true to the Gray vibe which comes with her type of music.

This album does not consist of the typical covers of the original songs, but Gray found a way to uphold the spirit of each song. Gray has brought positive light back into her music career.

Grade: B+