Pomegranates don’t typically grow in Ohio, but a few grew in Cincinnati, and have even formed a band.

Pomegranates, the Cincinnati-native band, will be returning to The Basement Monday accompanied by The Soil & The Sun. Doors open at 7 p.m.

The name was chosen in hopes that it would be mysterious yet familiar, said Isaac Karns, guitar, keyboards and vocalist of Pomegranates.

“(‘Pomegranate’) has a lot of references in the Bible and a lot of mythology,” Karns said. “(It’s) just kind of generally special or magical type of fruit across a lot of cultures.”

Pomegranates also includes Joey Cook on vocals, guitar and keyboard, Jacob Merritt on drums, and Curt Kiser on bass, guitar and vocals.

The band’s influences range from Neil Young and Bob Dylan, to Clams Casino, Slowdive, Jim O’Rourke and My Bloody Valentine. Karns described the band’s music as “poppy.”

“(It’s) just really genuine to who we are as people,” Karns said. “I think it’s kind of eclectic. Hopefully it’s fun. For better or worse, I think we’re kind of an untrendy band.”

Karns said he enjoys the relationships and bonds that are built through music.

“To me, music is a tool of community,” Karns said. “It sort of makes you know that you’re not alone in the universe and that God exists when you listen to music.”

The band’s fourth studio album, “Heaven,” is set for release June 5. Karns said “Heaven” is much more direct than the band’s past records. “Heaven” uses instruments and styles new to Pomegranates, such as synthesizers, crooning and falsetto.

“It’s definitely more direct,” Karns said. “To me it has a very clear aesthetic and kind of spiritual, even prophetic-like vision to the album.”

John Rice, a friend and fan of Pomegranates and Cedarville University alumnus, said he likes the band because of its energy.

“I think that their music translates really well to a live performance and it just kind of exudes enthusiasm,” Rice said.

Rice said it’s like a party watching Pomegranates perform its “free-spirited pop rock.”

“You can just tell they wake up in the morning and are super pumped that they get to play music,” Rice said. “That comes across really well in their live show. I think that’s why I like going to see them.”

Tickets are for $10 through Ticketmaster.