Boyce Avenue started out posting covers of popular songs on YouTube, like many musicians on the road to discovery. But after the Florida-native band gained popularity with their own music, they haven’t abandoned their YouTube efforts.

The alternative rock band is scheduled to perform with Secondhand Serenade at 6:30 p.m. Sunday at the Lifestyle Communities Pavilion.

Boyce Avenue is made up of brothers Daniel, Fabian and Alejandro Manzano. The band is named after the street the members lived on as children.

Daniel Manzano said Boyce Avenue’s sound is “acoustic-driven, melodic pop rock,” similar to Coldplay or the Goo Goo Dolls. John Mayer, Train and Oasis are some of the group’s influences.

The band posts videos on a weekly basis of its acoustic covers of popular songs on YouTube. Boyce Avenue has posted covers of Rihanna’s “We Found Love,” Katy Perry’s “Teenage Dream,” and Whitney Houston’s “I Look To You.”

“We just try to show a lot of personality in every video that we do,” Daniel Manzano said. “You’re able to see us sort of on a weekly basis even when you’re not seeing us on tour.”

Daniel Manzano said making covers started as a way for Boyce Avenue to learn to play music and has become a way to relate with fans.

“(Plenty of) bands actually start out doing covers,” Daniel Manzano said. “That’s how they learn how to play music. That’s how they learn how to perform. You don’t always have your own originals.”

Boyce Avenue’s covers are what helped its listeners become acquainted with their original works.

“It just really took off and what we realized is … people didn’t just want one or the other,” Daniel Manzano said. “Most people liked both.”

Daniel Manzano said the band hopes to engage listeners with its music in a personal way and that it is “not just something you want to like work out to or have in the background as you go about your day.”

“One thing we take great pride in with our music is the message, not only musically, but lyrically,” Daniel Manzano said. “We’re trying to communicate really real and just raw emotion and hopefully relate to people.”

The band produced and financed their debut album “All You’re Meant To Be,” which was released in 2008.

The band broke away from Universal Republic Records and is again producing music independently with its own independent label, 3 Peace Records.

Boyce Avenue is planning to write and release some new music in the next year, Daniel Manzano said.

“We’re getting in that space where we want to be writing music again and sharing that with everybody,” Daniel Manzano said.

Mae LaPresta, a third-year in engineering physics, said she began listening to the band on MySpace.

“It’s how they got started, so I think it’s cool how they keep up with that (YouTube),” LaPresta said.

Kati Lowry, a third-year in strategic communications, said her “all-time favorite video” of Boyce Avenue’s is its cover of Vanessa Carlton’s “A Thousand Miles.” In this video, Alex Goot accompanies the band.

“I like them because they kind of give you a variety,” Lowry said. “They redo other people’s songs and put their own spin on it, but they are also creating their own music.”

The last time the band played in Ohio was in Cleveland during its first tour in 2009.

“Ohio is a really exciting story for us,” Daniel Manzano said. “The reaction this time around has been massive. I don’t know if that’s a testament of how long (it’s been) since we last played in the state or … just how cool the college community is over there.”

Daniel Manzano said the band is looking forward to playing in Ohio again.

“This tour very specifically could be about that show,” Daniel Manzano said.