The Ohio State Board of Trustees unanimously approved several key university initiatives at its meeting Friday morning, including a plan that will require first- and second-year OSU students to live on campus.

Two-Year Residential Experience Plan

Under the plan, students will live on campus for at least two years in an effort to give students access to faculty and academic resources and to encourage community involvement and personal development.

Algenon Marbley, chair of the academic affairs and student life committee, noted that students have significantly higher rates of retention and graduation when they live on campus for at least two years.

While many students have spoken out against the plan, President E. Gordon Gee has told The Lantern he expects to enforce the plan by 2015 or 2016.

Faculty rules amended, Code of Student Conduct revised

The Board approved amendments to the “Rules of the University Faculty,” relating to the appointment or reappointment of faculty receiving tenure. “The Code of Student Conduct” will receive various revisions, such as defining student conduct and misconduct.

Construction contract increased

Sullivant Hall and Billy Ireland Cartoon Library & Museum will receive an additional $4.7 million for construction of a performance space and art education and collaborative space, as well as various building improvements. The estimated project cost is now $30.6 million.

Departments abolished or names changed

The Board approved a proposal to abolish the Department of Aviation. Aviation education programs will now be offered by the Center for Aviation Studies in the College of Engineering.

No services currently offered will be lost in the reorganization.

The Board approved changing the name of the Department of Greek and Latin to the Department of Classics, and the Department of Slavic and East European Languages and Literatures to the Department of Slavic and East European Languages and Cultures. Both name changes will better reflect the courses offered in each department.

Degree programs established, degree names changed

The Board approved the establishment of a doctor of philosophy program in African American and African studies, a doctor of philosophy degree program in Italian studies and a Master of Arts and doctor of philosophy degree in Portuguese.

Leslie Wexner, chairman of the Board, said that with its various proposals, the Board is moving in the right direction, due to the leadership of its members.

“Leadership is like the wind-we all know when there is some, and we all know when there is not,” Wexner said. “I’m just a mirror reflecting the quality and integrity of this leadership.”