Despite a few near-death experiences with dune buggy and car crashes, England’s The Wombats are alive and ready to kick off its tour in the U.S.

The Wombats are scheduled to play before a sold-out crowd at A&R Music Bar, located at 391 Neil Ave., at 7 p.m. Saturday.

The Wombats formed when drummer Dan Haggis and singer Matthew Murphy, who goes by Murph, started playing music together in Liverpool, England, after performing arts school. The band officially came together when Murphy met Norwegian bassist and keyboard player Tord Overland-Knudsen.

The Wombats played as many venues as possible and eventually developed enough of a following to draw the attention of 14th Floor Records, with which the band is signed.

“We recorded as much as we could and ended up getting played on the radio, and sold out a large venue in Liverpool, and then the record companies started taking notice,” Haggis said.

The Wombats sold out its past two shows in Columbus as well.

“Last time we came to Columbus, it was one of the best shows on the tour,” Haggis said. “I think it sold out. It was brilliant.”

The Wombats’ name came about due in part to Haggis’ mild obsession with animals such as emus, ostriches and of course, wombats.

“Well, we just needed a name for a poster and we really couldn’t think of anything else,” Haggins said. “We planned on changing it, but we never did and it kind of stuck with us.”

The band has recorded two albums since being signed. Its first, “A Guide to Love, Loss & Desperation,” was released in 2008 and produced hit songs such as “Kill the Director” and “Let’s

Dance to Joy Division.” Its second, “The Wombats Proudly Present … This Modern Glitch” produced hit singles such as “Jump into the Fog” and “Techno Fan.”

“I like ‘Jump into the Fog,’ although I am pretty sure it’s about picking up prostitutes,” said Andy Mitchell, 29 from Dayton.

It does mean something close, Haggins said.

“It’s a song about embracing promiscuity,” Haggins said.

The band recorded its first album in the countryside of Wales, and basically laid synths over top of its recorded live performances.

“We just wanted to capture the energy we had live,” Haggins said. “Whereas with the second album, we spent a lot longer working in the production and we obviously added synths into the mix.”

The band does what comes naturally, Haggins said.

“We just go with our instinct and Tord likes to dance,” Haggins said of its music’s danceability.

Critics agree The Wombats create tunes that are meant to induce dancing.

“Every song is designed to get people moving by focusing on danceable rhythms that all build to infectious, energetic choruses,” said Nathan Spicer of pastemagazine.com.

One can expect to see an energetic show when they go see The Wombats.

“Its very frantic and energetic,” Haggins said. “We just try and have as much fun as we can onstage and hope the crowd is having as much fun as we are.”