If Monday was any indication, Ohio State just can’t get enough of up-and-coming rapper J. Cole.

Taking the stage in the Ohio Union’s Archie M. Griffin Grand Ballroom, J. Cole’s performance was a part of the BuckeyeThon Benefit Concert, presented by BuckeyeThon and the Ohio Union Activities Board.

The event raised $19,340 and proceeds were directed toward the hematology and oncology department at Nationwide Children’s Hospital. Ticket prices were set at $10, and more than 1,500 students attended, said Kayla Wood, OUAB collaborative events chair.

Interlacing songs from his numerous mixtapes as well as his current album, J. Cole presented a selection aimed to appeal to longtime followers and newcomers of his music.

Popular hits such as “Work Out” and “Can’t Get Enough” fueled the crowd’s energy, while the real-life, personal lyrics of “Lost Ones” and “Daddy’s Little Girl” helped maintain their attention.

J. Cole’s lyricism and depth are two of the draws that attract fans to his music, said Chris Carson, a first-year in finance.

“A lot of his lyrics are real, and I can relate to it,” Carson said. “He is really just speaking of what is coming off his mind and his heart, instead of other people who are just trying to make a club hit that appeals to everyone else.”

OUAB announced a change in the show’s lineup Sunday, stating that Big K.R.I.T., the scheduled opener, canceled due to unforeseen circumstances.

As a result, OSU student rapper Cal Scruby was given the opportunity to perform before J. Cole hit the stage.

Scruby, a fourth-year in engineering, captured the audience’s attention with his ode to OSU athletics titled “The Nation.” To complete his set, Scruby performed original mixes over tracks from artists such as Mac Miller and Wiz Khalifa.

Signed to Jay-Z’s Roc Nation label, J. Cole is known for his cool, laid-back persona. The North Carolina native, whose real name is Jermaine Lamar Cole, released his first mixtape, “See Me on Top,” in 2005, but later rose to fame with the release of his debut album, “Cole World: The Sideline Story” in September.

For the rest of this story, read The Lantern Wednesday.