Charles Eric Waugh, a registered sex offender in Kentucky who came in contact with Ohio State student-athletes and recruits, in-person and on social media websites, was arrested Monday and is being held at the Boyd County Detention Center in Kentucky.

An official from the Boyd County Detention Center confirmed Monday evening to The Lantern that Waugh, 31, of Ashland, Ky., violated his probation and also failed to comply with sex offender registration laws in Kentucky. The official said Waugh will not have bond and will spend the night in the detention center.

“(Waugh)’s stuck here until we hear otherwise,” a second detention center official said.

After learning Waugh had been pictured with OSU student-athletes and recruits, OSU athletic director for compliance Doug Archie sent a warning email to Buckeye student-athletes.

“The university has become aware that an individual who is listed on Kentucky’s sex offender registry has recently been seen in pictures with our student-athletes,” Archie said in the Thursday email, which was preceded by a warning text to student-athletes.

Archie’s email to OSU student-athletes also contained an Internet link to a March 19, 2008, Daily Independent, in Ashland, Ky., report about Waugh entering “guilty pleas to five counts of possession of matter portraying sexual performances by minors.”
 Waugh also made contacts with OSU student-athletes and coaches on Twitter using the Twitter handle, @BdubsTriviaGuru

Waugh’s attorney, Michael Curtis, did not respond to a Monday evening request for comment. 

Charlene Waugh, Charles Waugh’s mother, declined The Lantern’s Monday request for comment, but said on Thursday that plans were in the works to “clear her son’s name.”

“We’re good Christian people. (Charles) is also a Christian boy,” Charlene Waugh told The Lantern on Thursday. “He’s been saved. He’s been baptized. He’s been on probation for four years and he hasn’t had no problems or anything. This situation right here’s the only thing we’ve had in our family.”