Home » Sports » Exercise Science Club wants to juice up Most Fit Buckeye Competition

Exercise Science Club wants to juice up Most Fit Buckeye Competition

Andrew Williams / Lantern reporter

Sprint 800 meters and immediately do 50 squats. Then sprint another 800 meters, trying to beat the time it took to run the first 800-meter sprint. Do another 50 squats. Now repeat that same process four more times while trying to run the next 800 meters faster than the first.
This isn’t some military workout or a treacherous training technique the Ohio State track team uses. It was simply the routine that Ben Van Treese, a fourth-year in human nutrition and community health, did to prepare for the Most Fit Buckeye Competition 2012.
“I do cross fit, a lot so I switched it to a lot more endurance-type activities,” Van Treese said. “I figured that … the mental toughness of forcing yourself to do six 800s by yourself is pretty similar to this.”
The second annual Most Fit Buckeye Competition was held Saturday at Coffey Road Park. While the event drew about 20 more people this year than it did in its inaugural run in 2011, the Exercise Science Club has its sights set on much bigger things in years to come.
Mark Ciolek, a third-year in exercise science and vice president of the Exercise Science Club, said the goal is to turn the competition into a huge event where competitors and spectators can come together and enjoy a day of fitness. Organizations can set up booths and mini-events can be held just for fun.
“We really wanna turn it into … a big spectator event and really an all-day health and fitness fair,” Ciolek said. “Different vendors and clubs at OSU having tents up and being able to interact with the participants while they’re not competing and talking about different health and fitness things.”
One of the things that should help transform the event is this year’s new location at Coffey Road Park. Last year, the event was on the Lincoln Tower Turf Field, which is smaller than Coffey Road Park.
“This is a much better facility,” said Rick Petosa, faculty adviser for the Exercise Science Club. “Last year we were over on the towers’ field; too small.”
The club was able to draw several sponsors to the event, including Earth Fare and Greenswell, which helped offset some of the costs of the prizes and refreshments for the participants.
Petosa said he would like to see more involvement from the OSU community and wants people to attend even if they aren’t interested in being a part of the competition.
“We realize not everybody wants to compete, so probably we’ll create a mini fun event,” Petosa said. “There’s a lot of campus organizations related to health and fitness, and they can come and do a little fitness thing. That’s what we’re hoping to do eventually here is set up and have a fitness day and have different events.”
Gina Verhoff, a third-year in exercise science and president of the Exercise Science Club, said she hopes the event continues to grow and evolve into something big that people are excited about. She said she would like to see people return year after year to improve their times and that the competition becomes part of the Buckeye experience.
“We want to be able to have it so that it does become a tradition here at Ohio State, and so that you can know your time the previous year and make it a goal to improve upon it,” Verhoff said. “I think it’s getting to be that point where we can totally provide every competitor with the unique experience.”