With a new heat wave in full swing, super unsexy sweatiness is bound to happen (thankfully, there is clinical-strength deodorant for that). However, if you’re thinking you might need something more to battle the B.O., finding the right fragrance can make all the difference.

In terms of men and women’s scents, consider how “heavy” perfume or cologne is. A summer fragrance should smell light and airy, not necessarily warm or cozy. For example, floral and fresh scents feel more lightweight in the spring and summer than spicy or woody scents.

Men should stay away from colognes containing ginger, vanilla bean or cinnamon bark. Women should also stay away from perfumes with vanilla in addition to white pepper or incense.

Scents tend to remind people of experiences or memories. The last thing most people want to be thinking about on a hot sunny day is last Christmas or the smell of autumn. Choose scents that make you think about cleanliness and water. Both men and women should look for notes of mint, jasmine, grapefruit, rosemary and rosewood.

The other key to making fragrances work in the hot weather is how you put them on. Use too much and the scent will mix with the smell of sweat, but use too little and you’ll only reek of body odor. The most effective way to use perfume or cologne is to place it on pressure points on the body. Most people apply to the neck and wrists, but you can also spray some on the backs of your knees and elbows.

Another way to use fragrance is to spray the air in front of you and walk toward through the scent. The fragrance will be evenly distributed throughout your clothing. This is a good method for those with sensitive skin.

Dolce & Gabbana’s Light Blue is a great scent for men during the warmer months. The blend of citrus with masculine woods is a perfect combination to keep it from not being too overpowering. Another cologne to consider is Giorgio Armani’s Acqua di Gio. With a blend of marine notes, fruits, herbs and woods, it’s the Mediterranean Sea in a bottle.

For women, Marc Jacobs’ Daisy is always a good option. Notes of grapefruit, violet petals and gardenia make this perfume a girly-yet-sophisticated option. Another option is CLEAN’s Clean that smells like pure soap. (Not in a bad way.) It’s more of a squeaky clean, fresh-out-of-the-shower smell.

One last very important thing to remember about any scent you use is you will not be able to smell it after an extended period of time. However, others will continue to smell it all day.

Fragrances are made with oils that combine with your skin’s natural oil to create a scent unique to you. Your nose will become desensitized to this smell over time, but there is no need to use more perfume or cologne because others do not have as sensitive noses.

If you apply just enough fragrance, you’ll smell sensational all day long.