Michael Periatt / Asst. sports editor
Ohio State has no major violations pending before the NCAA and the football program is not facing any new violations, athletic director Gene smith said Thursday.
Smith’s email statement came hours after The Lantern published a story that included the OSU athletic director revealing that the school has 12 NCAA violations pending, in addition to the 46 secondary violations disclosed last week.
“These are similar to those released last week. Again, these are secondary in nature and consistent with our culture of self-reporting even the most minor and inadvertent violations,” Smith said in the release. “Again, to be clear, the Ohio State football program, its coaches and staff are not facing any violations.”
During his interview earlier this week with The Lantern, Smith said he was unsure of what the NCAA would make of the pending violations.
“We’ve got 12 pending,” Smith said in the Tuesday interview. “It may turn out to be secondary. It may not.”
OSU spokesman Dan Wallenberg said in a Wednesday email to The Lantern, that there were actually less than 12 pending violations. Wallenberg confirmed that the additional violations were being “processed,” but said then that he did not “know the status of each situation.”
Wallenberg did not respond to The Lantern‘s Thursday morning request for additional comment.
Smith’s disclosure of the additional violations to The Lantern came less than a week after OSU released documents that revealed 46 self-reported secondary NCAA violations since May 30, 2011 – the day former Buckeyes football coach Jim Tressel was forced to resign.