Phil Mickelson posted a 7-over-par 79 during the first round of the 2012 Memorial Tournament and has withdrawn from the competition due to fatigue.
The cause of Mickelson’s fatigue might be a bit too much celebrating for his wife Amy’s 40th birthday.
“Well, after we played ­- after I played three weeks in a row … I went straight to Europe to celebrate Amy’s 40th (birthday),” Mickelson said. “I came back and had a Tuesday outing in Long Island, the (Memorial Tournament) pro‑am (on Wednesday), and I think mentally I’m a little bit fatigued.”
Mickelson was 2-over-par through eight holes before he birdied a 10-foot putt on the ninth green to bring the gallery following he, Rickie Fowler and Bubba Watson to a roar.
He then birdied the 11th hole to pull to even par before bogeying holes 12, 13, 14, 17 and 18. Mickelson posted a double bogey on the 16th.
Mickelson said he’ll spend the next few days resting for the U.S. Open.
“Certainly, I’m disappointed with how I played today, but … I’ve got to be more big-picture oriented and think about the Open and what’s best to get my best golf out there, and I need the next few days to rest up a bit.”
American Boo Weekley, Tom Gillis and North Korean Sang-Moon Bae also withdrew after the first round of Memorial Tournament play.
The second round of the Memorial Tournament begins Friday at 7:20 a.m.