With summer just around the corner, the colder fashions of rainy April need updating. Brights are popping up across runways and splattering the pages of fashion magazines for the coming summer months. May is here: it’s time to rejuvenate your rainy-day apparel. Preparing for less cloudy skies ahead means it’s time to put jeans, leggings and sweaters to rest for the dog days of summer. Here are five tips that are sure to keep your closet fresh for the spring-to-summer conversion – and florals aren’t even a footnote.

1. Lite bright
Neon is hot for summer! Whether you’re going all out in a statement, working a multi-colored skirt or playing up a magenta scarf with a muted teal top, have fun playing with contrasting shades to give your wardrobe that extra “pop” for the hottest of seasons. Play around with fun shades of chartreuse, blood-orange and goldenrod for a fun citrus feel.

2. Be a shape-shifter
What better way to say goodbye to jacket weather than to play around with fun cutouts and patterns? Pair a mini-dress with fun backless cutouts underneath a bright tutu, or try a one-shouldered dress with some ornate bow shoulder detail for a simple but edgier take on a sundress.

3. Eclectic collective
Rejuvenating doesn’t necessarily have to kill your wallet. Use knitted winter caps to top off high-fashion dresses to give a more down-to-earth everyday feel, or take your knee-high leather boots from last season and pump up the volume with a bouncy thigh-skimming skirt and loads of bangles.

4. Legs for miles
Long legs never go out of style, so why not play them up with some spring foot candy? Colorful wedges, peep-toe pumps and fringe boots are all big for the spring-to-summer conversion. Couple them with a mini-dress or high-waisted skirt to showcase your newly bronzed summer stems (thanks Oval Beach!).

5. Fringe-ify
Being tasteful is always an important part of good fashion, and while you might want to channel your Oval Beach mentality and bare all, the changing seasons still allow for unexpected weather conditions. Keep it simple with a delicate-fringe scarf over a sundress, or wrap a cashmere scarf around a tank top and pin your hair up in a chic chignon. Scarves are always tasteful for in-between-seasons fashion, just keep away from tweed and chunky knits and stick to sheer fabrics and fringe.