Home » Sports » Ohio State men’s tennis falls to UCLA

Ohio State men’s tennis falls to UCLA

Sarah Ignatz-Hoover / Lantern photographer

The No. 5-seeded Ohio State men’s tennis team fell to No. 4-seeded UCLA, 4-2, in Athens, Ga., in the field of eight during the NCAA Men’s Tennis Championship. OSU sophomore Blaz Rola and senior Chase Buchanan will continue in the competition in the singles and doubles championships.

Rola, who leads the team with 33 singles wins, told The Lantern before heading to Georgia, he’s bringing his ‘A’ game to Athens. He left an unfinished match with UCLA’s Nick Meister, 3-6, 6-3, 3-2.

Buchanan beat UCLA sophomore Clay Thompson in the singles bracket, 6-3, 6-3.
Rola and Buchanan, the nation’s top-ranked duo, fell to No. 44-ranked Alex Brigham and Adrien Puget, 8-6.
Sunday OSU started off ahead of UCLA after sophomore Peter Kobelt and junior Connor Smith defeated freshman Marcos Giron and junior Warren Hardie, 8-4. The duo finished their season 27-5 overall.
Junior Devin McCarthy and Sophomore Ille Van Engelen fell to redshirt senior Nick Meister and freshman Dennis Novikov, 8-1, to complete their season with a 33-10 record.
In the singles competition Kobelt fell to Novikov, freshman Hunter Callahan fell to Adrien Puget and Smith picked up the singles win against freshman Dennis Mkrtchian.
OSU will conclude the season, 34-4. Rola and Buchanan will advance to the doubles and singles championships hosted Wednesday at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex.

Friday OSU topped No. 12-seeded Florida, 4-1, in the field of 16. Kobelt and Smith defeated sophomores Mike Alford and Florent Diep, 8-3, while Rola and Buchanan topped junior Tripper Carleton and senior Nassim Slilam, 8-1.

Smith, Rola and Buchanan all picked up the singles win against the Gators.

Rola, Buchanan and Coach Ty Tucker did not respond to comment.