Home » Sports » Ohio State softball takes series against Penn State

Ohio State softball takes series against Penn State

Jeremy Meehan / Lantern Photographer

A timely hit and strong pitching performance helped the Ohio State softball team win its final series of the season at Penn State Friday and Saturday.
With the 4-1 Saturday victory, the Buckeyes became the first team to earn a series win at Beard Field this year. It was their first series win since sweeping Michigan State in East Lansing, Mich., during the final weekend in March.
OSU jumped out to an early 4-0 lead in the third inning when sophomore first baseman Evelyn Carrillo connected on a 1-1 pitch that sailed over the right center field wall for a grand slam, her second in the last two days. Carrillo finished the year second on the team with 47 RBIs and six home runs.
Sophomore pitcher Melanie Nichols threw a complete game while only giving up one run on six hits and striking out four Nittany Lions to improve her record to 12-9 on the season. It was Nichols’ ninth complete game of the year and she ended the season ranked second on the team in wins, appearances, innings pitched and strikeouts behind senior pitcher Mikayla Endicott.
Four seniors played in their final game in scarlet and gray Saturday, including shortstop Alicia Herron who ended her career at the top of multiple OSU career batting categories.
Herron is first all-time in runs scored (168), second in home runs (49) and RBIs (176), third in hits (226), fourth in triples (11) and doubles (40) and fifth in walks (113) and batting average (.367). She finished her senior campaign by leading the team with a .378 batting average, 48 runs scored, 14 home runs and 48 RBIs.
OSU closed out the 2012 season with a 31-23 overall record and finished eighth in the Big Ten with a 10-13 mark in conference play.
OSU players and coaches were not made available to The Lantern for comment.