Logan Schuss of the Ohio State men’s lacrosse team was named the Eastern College Athletic Conference Player of the Year Monday in a vote league coaches conducted.
The junior attacker from Ladner, British Columbia, led the Buckeyes with 38 goals and 17 assists this season.
Along with the accolade, Schuss was named to the All-ECAC First Team with senior defenseman Joe Bonanni.
Two other Buckeyes, sophomore goalie Greg Dutton and senior defenseman Keenan Ochwat, were named second-team selections and freshman midfielder Jesse King was named to the ECAC All-Rookie Team.
This is the third time Schuss has been selected to the All-ECAC First Team.
Schuss said being smarter with the ball was one thing he wanted to improve during the middle of the season. As the regular-season came to a close on Saturday, the stats said the rest.
Schuss averaged a league-best 4.17 points (goals or assists) per game with 25 in conference play, as well as tying for first in the league with three goals per game.
The Buckeyes found themselves in a tight position after going 1-5 in March. The last four games on their schedule had to be victories for the team to reach the ECAC postseason.
Before the team’s victory against Hobart College April 7, Schuss had a streak of 40-consectutive games of posting a least one point.
“Hopefully we can see it keep coming,” Schuss told The Lantern earlier in the season. “I’m definitely going to work hard on and off the field and try to keep that going.”
The production didn’t stop.
Schuss has continued his streak to 44 consecutive games with an 8-3 victory against Fairfield University last Saturday. The game ended his streak of 19-consecutive games with a goal, but the team’s success gave the Buckeyes the No. 2 seed heading into the ECAC semifinal.
The semi-final matchup will be a rematch against Fairfield Wednesday.
“Logan is a guy that’s been doing it all year,” said coach Nick Myers before the matchup against Air Force. “But he is a consistent guy that is going to get two to three goals a game, and that’s his role, and that’s what we expect from Logan.”
Coming into the season, Schuss was ranked 25th all-time in points for the OSU men’s lacrosse team.
Schuss ends the regular season with 163 points and was one point shy of former Buckeye Craig Cooper, who was fifth on OSU’s all-time list.
The most points produced in a season are 250 by Terry Gilmore.