Heavy rain couldn’t dampen Childish Gambino, who brought some shine despite a lack of sun. 

Actor, rapper, writer and comedian Donald Glover brought his hip-hop act, Childish Gambino, to Columbus Monday as a part of his nationwide Camp Tour. Sponsored by the Ohio Union Activities Board, the concert attracted about 1,500 students to the Lifestyles Communities Pavilion.

The crowd’s energy hit its peak with the trifecta of hits “L.E.S.,” “Heartbeat” and “You See Me.” With most of the audience wearing ponchos OUAB handed out, the crowd bumped and rapped along with Glover over the tracks.

Showcasing a style filled with popular culture references and poignant self-awareness, Glover’s verses took audiences on a rollercoaster of witty punch lines and relatable sentiment.

“It’s more emotional than average,” said Jake Bialosky, a third-year in criminology.  “That’s why he attracts fans, because you hear the emotion in the song. You don’t have Drake just talking – sorry, Drake.”

Rapper Josh Baze opened the show, warming the crowd up before Glover’s performance. The newcomer did his job, most notably with his tribute to the Beastie Boys. Playing two of the group’s hits, “(You Gotta) Fight for Your Right (to Party)” and “Intergalactic,” the Brooklyn native helped the crowd forget the rain and concentrate on the music.

Perhaps most well known for his role as Troy Barnes on NBC’s “Community,” Glover’s influence stretches beyond that of a typical triple threat performer. The New York University alumnus boasts a resume that includes writing for “The Daily Show” and “30 Rock” as well as modeling for Gap’s 2010 holiday ad campaign.

In 2010, Glover campaigned on Twitter to audition for the role of Peter Parker in the upcoming film, “The Amazing Spider-Man.” The role was ultimately given to Andrew Garfield, known for his role in “The Social Network.”

Now a similar grassroots campaign has sprung, this time calling for the actor to be cast in the upcoming “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles” movie.

Deriving his stage name from a Wu-Tang Clan online name generator, Glover began rapping under the pseudonym Childish Gambino in 2008 with the release of his first album “Sick Boi.”

His most recent album, “Camp,” was released Nov. 15 and peaked at No. 11 on the Billboard 200 chart and No. 2 on the Billboard R&B/Hip-Hop Album and Rap Album charts.

Check The Lantern Wednesday for a full recap of this event.