The power of a positive attitude was a constant theme in the speech E! personality Giuliana Rancic delivered to Ohio State students Sunday evening.

The Ohio Union Activities Board-sponsored event was held at 7 p.m. in the Ohio Union’s West Ballroom, Rancic addressed about 400 students about the journey that has made her a popular television personality.

Rancic also touched on some of the struggles she had along the way, including her fight with breast cancer.

“I went public and shared my story of breast cancer and was able to touch many, many women like yourself,” Rancic said. “In turn, not only has it helped all these women, but it has helped me because I find meaning and purpose in what I’m going through.”

Rancic spoke about putting a positive spin on life’s struggles and focusing more on life’s joys.

Morgan Lineberry, a second-year in psychology, said she was happy to hear the news that Rancic would be coming to speak at OSU and connecting a celebrity face to a good cause.

“I’m just excited to see her and maybe learn about what I can do for the whole breast cancer awareness campaign,” Lineberry said.

The event was set up to be in collaboration with Scarlet, Gray, & Pink: A Walk for Stefanie Spielman, an annual walk to promote breast-cancer awareness.

“That’s the reason we decided to collaborate, just to bring more attention to the walk, but unfortunately it was after the walk,” said Destiny Jackson, co-director of marketing for OUAB. “The day Giuliana was originally scheduled for she had to cancel, so we had it today.”

Jackson said besides learning the importance of breast cancer awareness from the event, she hopes students were inspired.

“She talked a lot about focusing on the positives in your life when things are going wrong, so we hope that during this midterm exam time, they got more encouragement to succeed,” Jackson said. 

Check The Lantern Tuesday for a full recap of this event.