Home » A+E » Front Bottoms to be front-and-center at upcoming Columbus show

Front Bottoms to be front-and-center at upcoming Columbus show

Courtesy of Lucia Holm Photography

As The Front Bottoms stop in Columbus during its cross-country headline tour, attention around the band is buzzing.

The New Jersey-based indie-pop duo is scheduled to kick off its 22-city tour 10 p.m. Tuesday at Rumba Café.

Local rock bands The Big Sweet and Ease the Medic are scheduled to open the show at 7 p.m.

“It’s always good to come back to Ohio,” said Brian Sella, vocalist and guitarist of The Front Bottoms. “We were in Columbus three months ago, and we picked it as our first stop of the tour this time.”

Sella said it is hard to define the band’s music, but he listed rock, dance and punk alongside its indie-pop theme.

The Front Bottoms released its self-titled debut album in September, and its music videos have been featured on “Buzzworthy,” MTV’s pop culture blog, and “Alternative Press,” an online magazine featuring articles on underground, alternative, and punk music.

Sella and Matt Uychich, drummer and bullhornist of The Front Bottoms, have known each other since they were 10 and 8 years old, respectively. The Front Bottoms came out of their friendship in 2006, when they decided to form a band and pursue their dream of music.

Five years prior to releasing its debut album, The Front Bottoms released several tracks as an unsigned group.

Sella said it’s nice to feel more mature about the production process after officially releasing an album and receiving more attention, but The Front Bottoms is always going to stay original.

“Back in the day, it was natural for us to do what we do, and so it is now (after being signed),” Sella said. “If it’s positive for us, we try to make it positive for everybody.”

Todd Dugan, who is in charge of booking at the Rumba Café, said the venue is looking forward to having The Front Bottoms perform.

Sella said he and Uychich had a great time performing at The Basement in Columbus in March, and he is looking forward to returning to the city.

“It’s cool to be a Buckeye,” Sella said. “I hope all of the Ohio State students do well on their finals, and yeah, come check us out and say hi Tuesday night.”

Cecilia Geng, a fourth-year in accounting, said she is interested in seeing The Front Bottoms.

“I’ve seen their bizarre videos online, they seem really funny,” Geng said. “It’s cool to have them in town. I’ll go check them out since I got to kill time until commencement anyway.”

Tickets are $10 in advance and $12 at the door.