Les Wexner will be stepping down from his position on the Ohio State Board of Trustees effective immediately.

University spokeswoman Shelly Hoffman said that a reason wasn’t given for his resignation. His remaining term was due to end in 2020.

Attempts to contact Wexner Friday afternoon were unsuccessful.

In April Wexner completed his term as Board Chair, the position now held by Robert Schottenstein.

According to the university press release, Wexner has served 18 years on the Board since 1988.

President E. Gordon Gee noted Wexner’s contributions over the years.

“Les Wexner has provided extraordinary leadership to the university during times of significant change and progress, and we are grateful for his service,” he said in the university release.

Wexner has made several financial contributions to OSU during his time on the Board. In 2011 Wexner made a $100 million donation to the university and in February the medical center was renamed the Wexner Medical Center at the Ohio State University.

Gov. John Kasich announced two new appointees to the Board, Cheryl Krueger and Benjamin Reinke. Krueger has been appointed for a nine-year term ending in May 2021, and Reinke for a two-year term ending in May 2014 serving as a student member.

The announcement was made on the day that university officials announced they would be bringing the $483 million parking agreement before the Board later this month.