While the summer is a time for jobs, internships and working on tans for many Ohio State students, it is also a great time in the world of sports. The summer of 2012 is no exception, with enough drama and intrigue to keep us glued to our televisions for the entirety of this shortened summer break. Here are a few things to watch for.

Euro 2012 (June 8 – July 1)
For the reader at home thinking, “There’s no way I’m wasting my time watching soccer,” I implore you to give Euro 2012 a chance. Aside from the World Cup, the UEFA European Football Championship best exemplifies why soccer is considered to be the beautiful game. The best European soccer players come together as 16 European countries compete for the Henri Delaunay Trophy. Spain won the previous tournament in 2008 and also won the World Cup in 2010. They hope to become the first country ever to win three consecutive major tournaments.

NBA Finals
The Eastern and Western Conference Finals will come to a close this week, with the winners of each moving on to the finals. Regardless of who advances between the Spurs and Thunder and the Celtics and Heat, we are in for an extremely interesting finale to the 2012 NBA season. The Spurs and Celtics are two aging franchises, led by hall-of-fame players past their primes, hoping to capture one final championship ring. The Thunder are the exact opposite, a group of young but talented players trying to begin their own dynasty. And of course there is the Miami Heat led by LeBron James – the team and the player that nearly everyone seems to hate. James is still seeking his first championship after famously predicting that the Heat would win not one, not two, not three, not four…

NBA offseason
The most exciting action in the NBA this summer might actually take place off the court. Though it is not receiving as much hype as summer 2010, in which James and Chris Bosh signed as free agents with the aforementioned Miami Heat, this NBA offseason is just as compelling. It all begins with the NBA Draft on June 28, where teams will try to turn around their failing franchises by selecting prospects from one of the deepest draft classes in recent memory. The real fun beings on July 11 when teams can start signing free agents. Will Dwight Howard finally be traded from the Orlando Magic? Where will All-Star point guard Deron Williams sign? What will the Lakers do with Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum? These are just some of the questions that should be answered this summer.

2012 Summer Olympics (July 27 – August 12)
Is there really anything better than the Olympics? For a few weeks the country pulls together to support our nation’s top athletes as they compete in the 2012 Summer Olympics in London. Whether you’re watching the men’s basketball team attempt to defend their gold medal or Michael Phelps swim at his final Olympics, the 26 different sports provide something for everyone to enjoy.