Former Ohio State diver Katie Bell was the final hope for a current or former Buckeye to earn a medal at the 2012 Olympic Games in London. Bell came up short of that goal, which sent all 11 Buckeyes home from London with memories of the Games, but no medal.

Bell’s only event at this year’s Olympics was the women’s individual 10-meter platform competition. She made it through the preliminary round, which was held on Aug. 8, in ninth place. However, she finished only 16th in the semifinal, which was held the following day. Only 14 divers made it through to the event’s final, so Bell was eliminated.

Bell, via her Twitter account @HippieBell, said her experience at the Games was positive, despite her failure to qualify for the final.

“This experience has been amazing,” Bell tweeted. “Its [sic] a dream come true and I have enjoyed every moment. Thank you everyone for all your support.”

The 10 other Buckeyes who competed in London included athletes representing eight different countries, and competing in five different sports: fencing, swimming, rowing, soccer and rifle.

The fencers included two current OSU athletes, junior Zain Shaito and sophomore Mona Shaito, siblings who represented Lebanon in these Games. The other two fencers were former Buckeyes Margarita Tschomakova and Louise Bond-Williams, who represented Bulgaria and Great Britain respectively. None of the fencers made it past the first two rounds of their individual competition.

The only other current OSU athlete to compete for the Buckeyes was Amanda Furrer, a senior rifle shooter, who finished 15th in the 50-meter rifle competition. The other former Buckeyes to compete in London were Canadian swimmer Samantha Cheverton, Serbian swimmer Dorde Markovic, U.S. rower Margot Shumway, Italian rower Claudia Wurzel and Honduran soccer player Roger Espinoza.

Cheverton placed 11th in the women’s 200-meter freestyle swim, while Markovic was ousted from the men’s 400-meter freestyle in 23rd place. Shumway and teammate Sarah Trowbridge placed sixth in the women’s double sculls final, while Wurzel and teammate Sara Bertolasi finished 10th in the women’s pair final. Honduras was eliminated in the quarterfinals of the men’s soccer tournament.

The 2012 Olympics concluded on Sunday. The next Summer Olympics will be held Aug. 5-21, 2016, in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.