Ohio State junior forward Deshaun Thomas was named preseason first-team All-American by Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook Wednesday.

Being named one of the top players in the country would be a great honor for any collegiate athlete, but for Thomas, the news came on his birthday, which made it even more special.

“It feels great, as it is a great accomplishment,” said Thomas. “Especially since I found out that I’m an All-American by Blue Ribbon on my 21st birthday, which was (Wednesday), it just felt great.”

Thomas is the top returning scorer and rebounder, where he averaged 15.9 points per game and grabbed 5.4 rebounds per game on 52 percent shooting during the 2011-12 season. During March Madness, Thomas took his game to another level, as he lead the Buckeyes in scoring with 19 points per game. The Buckeyes made a Final Four appearance, where they eventually lost to the Kansas Jayhawks.

With this award, Thomas said he understands that more will be expected from him.

“I expect to do a lot,” said Thomas. “To help my teammates win, and do the little things to help them win. It’s going to be all work and dedication, and I just feel like if I can do the things that I know I can do to help the team win. We can be successful.”

Over the last two seasons, Ohio State has won 65 games with Thomas, where 38 of those games were won with him being in the starting lineup. The 6-foot-7 shooter has racked up 897 points in over 76 appearances and 39 starts for the Buckeyes.

OSU will start their 2012-13 season by playing Marquette in the Carrier Classic on Nov. 9 in Mt. Pleasant, S.C.