Students have had a week to find their stomping grounds on campus, so The Lantern is taking a look beyond Ohio State’s borders to get them familiar with the city.

As campus-dining food loses its allure, High Street and the surrounding off-campus areas offer tantalizing opportunities for Ohio State students to switch up what they can dish into their stomachs.

One Columbus-born eatery is La Chatelaine French Bakery and Bistro, a family-owned restaurant offering classic French dishes. Owners Stan and Gigi Wielezynski immigrated to the United States in 1985 and brought with them the atmosphere of a French-style kitchen. The duo owns three establishments in the Columbus area, with the location closest to campus at 1550 W. Lane Ave.

The inside of the restaurant has a Normandy-inspired décor with solid wooden tables and chairs in the dining room. When the weather permits, the Lane Avenue location also offers outdoor seating with a patio.

The bistro offers a range of foods from freshly-baked bread, pastries, homemade quiche, soup, salad and also more classic French dishes such as boeuf Bourguignon, escargots and cassoulet de porc confit.

During lunch hours, from 10:30 a.m. to 2 p.m., the restaurant is run in a cafeteria style.

“During the week, lunch time is very busy and we have a lot of professors and teachers come in to eat,” Stan Wielezynski said. “Many of the customers we have are people who have already been to Europe and they come here looking for the same foods that they discovered over in Europe.”

Meal prices vary at La Chatelaine from the Petit Dejeuner Francais for breakfast at $3.40 to the Steak – Frites for dinner at $17.

“We are affordable for the refined food we offer,” Stan Wielezynski said. “You shouldn’t compare us to fast food because we offer something much different than what Wendy’s or McDonalds offers.”

The Short North, located between campus and downtown on High Street, also offers many close-to-campus, far-reaching from fast food, eateries. Some of which include Marcella’s, an Italian restaurant located at 615 N. High St., Hubbard Grille, located at 793 N. High St, and for dessert-lovers, Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams, located at 714 N. High St. and owned by OSU alumna Jeni Britton Bauer.

If fine dining isn’t really what your taste buds are stirring for, more moderately-priced restaurants can be found right on the streets bordering campus.

Chain restaurant Noodles & Company can be found at 2124 N. High St., just at the corner of Lane Avenue and High Street, and offers dishes inspired by Asian, Mediterranean and American Cuisine. It also has a large selection of vegetarian dishes.

“I’m a vegetarian and Noodles is really vegetarian-friendly because they have so many options for me,” said Claudra Koustand, a first-year in neuroscience. “Most places don’t have dishes set up to start out as vegetarian and then adding meat.”

Noodles & Company has many promotions to bring in customers such as “Buy One Get One” coupons and frequent guest cards offering a free meal after every five bowls purchased. An average meal can cost less than $10.

“A majority of our business comes from the students on and around campus, so we always try to look out for them and give them good deals when they come in to eat,” said Danna Barker, assistant general manager of the location at Lane Avenue and High Street.

Locally owned and faster options include Gooeyz, a gourmet grilled cheese hub located at 1554 N. High St., Tai’s Asian Bistro & Sushi Bar, located at 1285 W. Lane Ave., and for those with late-night cravings, Raising Cane’s is located at 1816 N. High St. The chicken crib seems to see lots of business from students after midnight on the weekends when it’s open until 3 a.m.

Another campus hotspot is Buckeye Donuts, located at 1998 N. High St. Open 24 hours a day, Buckeye Donuts offers donuts and coffee along with meals of chicken tenders, gyros, breakfast sandwiches and its famous Buckeye Donut, which is covered with a chocolate glaze and filled with peanut butter in the middle.

Ali Kovacevich, a first-year in exploration, has already coined the coffee shop as one of her favorite off-campus eateries.

“It’s amazing there. All the people are so friendly,” Kovacevich said. “Who doesn’t love the idea of getting a donut whenever you want?”