For some members of the more than 7,000-student freshman class, Welcome Week activities bring out both their excitement and anxieties about becoming Ohio State students.
“I am excited about rooming with my friends, and the chance to meet new people,” said Andrei Leabu, a first-year in business, living in Drackett Tower.
Although some students beat the rush and moved in Thursday as Orientation Welcome Leaders, most students living on campus moved in Sunday.
Nick Angert, a first-year in business, said he is ready to be living on his own.
“I am excited about the campus size and the campus activities,” Angert said.
He said he is looking forward to activities such as football games and Battleship, a game played in a swimming pool in which students sit in canoes and attempt to sink each others’ canoes with buckets of water.
Others are also anxiously awaiting the start of football season.
Michael Koltak, a first-year in communication, said he is looking forward to “the new Urban (Meyer) Era.”
The football team starts its campaign in the ‘Shoe Sept. 1 against Miami University (Ohio).
Koltak also said he couldn’t wait for the Ohio Union Activities Board-sponsored Welcome Week Concert Thursday featuring Big Sean, 2 Chainz and Krewella on the South Oval.
Classes begin Wednesday, marking the start of OSU’s first year on semesters since the 1920s. First-years spent Monday morning at Convocation at St. John Arena, followed by being bused downtown to Nationwide Arena and winding the evening down by attending the Involvement Fair on the Oval. But adjusting to new schedules has plenty of campus new-comers nervous.
“I am worried about getting to class on time. The schedule is so different from high school, you have to be in class at different times and buildings,” Leabu said.
He also said he is nervous about his course work, specifically chemistry.
Angert, on the other hand, said he wasn’t worried about his academics. He did however express concern about his living arrangements.
“I am nervous about being homesick,” Angert said.