Ohio State football has another issue with Michigan State, and this one might require the Big Ten Conference to get involved.

The latest gripe between the two schools involves an eye-gouging incident. First-year coach Urban Meyer addressed that matter, announced player grades from Saturday’s win against the Spartans and updated the status of injured OSU players during his weekly press conference Monday at the Woody Hayes Athletic Center.

Another Big Ten complaint?

OSU and MSU settled a dispute regarding the altered game tape OSU provided MSU prior to the teams’ game Saturday, and the Big Ten never became involved in the matter.

Another issue between the two teams, however, might require Big Ten intervention.

Meyer said OSU junior defensive tackle Johnathan Hankins was gouged in the eye by the Spartans and “he thinks” film of the incident was sent to the Big Ten office.

“I really don’t know. Every conference is different. I don’t know,” Meyer said of the Big Ten’s protocol for addressing the matter. “I think it gets turned in, and then I believe it’s in the conference offices or the team’s way of handling it. I believe we did turn it in.”

OSU defensive line coach Mike Vrabel said Hankins received the cheap shot after in between plays. 

“You know, somebody trying to take a cheap shot at you, whether that be a chop block or poking you in the eye or doing something, I don’t think has any place in the game, especially at the college level or any level,” Vrabel said. “Whether (MSU is) telling their guys or coaching it or allowing it to happen, I don’t know.

“I tell Nathan (Williams) nobody is worth… a 15-yard penalty.”

The Big Ten did not immediately respond to The Lantern’s Monday request for comment.

Injury update

OSU senior running back Jordan Hall as a “torn PCL ligament” and is listed as doubtful for OSU’s Saturday game against No. 21 Nebraska.

Hall scored on a 1-yard touchdown run during the first series of OSU’s visit to play MSU Saturday. Hall finishing the game with 32 rushing yards on six carries.

Junior running back Carlos Hyde is close to 100 percent recovered from an MCL injury that forced him to sit for OSU’s games against California and Alabama-Birmingham, Meyer said.

Meyer said that junior safety C.J. Barnett is likely to be listed as probable for OSU’s next contest.

Champions

Meyer announced that 12 players graded out as champions for their respective performances against the Spartans. Redshirt senior linebacker Etienne Sabino was named the defensive player of the week while OSU’s entire offensive line took the offensive player of the week honor.

On the defensive side of the ball, sophomore outside linebacker Ryan Shazier, senior defensive lineman John Simon, sophomore cornerback Bradley Roby and Hankins graded out as champions in the win against the Spartans.

Offensively, senior fullback Zach Boren, sophomore tight end Jeff Heuerman and the linemen – junior center Corey Linsley, junior left tackle Jack Mewhort, junior right guard Marcus Hall, junior left guard Andrew Norwell and senior right tackle Reid Fragel – also graded out as champions.