Home » Sports » Ohio State women’s hockey to feature veteran leadership in 2012-13

Ohio State women’s hockey to feature veteran leadership in 2012-13

Courtesy of the Ohio State athletic department

After finishing 16-16-4 last season, Ohio State’s women’s ice hockey team is scheduled to kick off its 2012-2013 campaign this Friday with a handful of veteran players in new leadership roles.
The team nominated senior forward Hokey Langan to be the Buckeyes’ team captain.
The Chatham, Ontario, product is seventh on OSU’s career scoring list with 105 points thanks to 46 goals and 59 assists.
Buckeyes Coach Nate Handrahan said choosing Langan to be the team’s captain was a pretty simple choice.
“Girls look to her for leadership and she is a very talented player, has a lot of experience, knows a lot from playing in the level she played at prior to being here with international competition,” Handrahan said.
Handrahan commented on Langan’s individual strengths.
“I think her hockey IQ and knowing the game, but I think she bleeds scarlet and grey and wants to win,” Handrahan said. “I think that has to be at the crux of your leadership and she is willing to do what it takes to win.”
Langan said she is happy that her team chose her to be its captain and thinks the team has confidence in her.
“It was an honor and one of the goals I had set freshman year,” Langan said. “I like to say I am a leader and that my teammates respect me and have faith in me to bring this team wins.”
Langan attributed her strengths to her teammates and her knowledge of the game.
“My teammates make me a lot better than I am myself, but I like to say that I can read the ice really well,” Langan said. “I am a good passer when I am given an opportunity.”
Langan, though, won’t be the only member of the Buckeyes in a leadership role this season.
Senior forwards Paige Semenza, Tina Hollowell and Minttu Tuominen will serve as the three assistant captains.
Semenza, a two-time Ohio State Scholar-Athlete from Pittson, Pa., severed as assistant captain last season and said her new role is about having experience.
“It was definitely honoring being an assistant last year and it gave me experience that I was able to build on,” Semenza said. “Coming into my senior year, I wanted to be a leader and help my teammates.”
Handrahan said Semenza’s attention to detail is what makes her a qualified leader.
“Paige is a quiet worker who pays attention to all the little details in her life and that helps her on the ice,” Handrahan said. Hollowell, a native of Clinton Township, Mich., was named an Academic All-Big Ten selection and Ohio State Scholar-Athlete last season.
Handrahan said Hollowell is the core of the team and inspires each player.
“Tina is our heartbeat, our emotional leader, our warrior that inspires us to play well,” Handrahan said.
Tuominen, a native of Espoo, Finland, is a former member of the Finnish National team and Olympic bronze medalist. Handrahan said the senior forward is an excellent leader.
“Minttu is someone that has international competition and she is an Olympic medalist, obviously a talented player,” Handrahan said.
Handrahan has not set any goals for the team but said he thinks the team has a good work ethic that will take them far.
“I think this team can work hard and compete,” Handrahan said. “The potential for good things is there but we won’t really know until we drop the puck on Friday.”
The Buckeyes will host its season opener against Lindenwood at the Ohio State Ice Rink on Friday at 7:07 p.m.