Home » Sports » Ohio State women’s soccer ties Wisconsin in contest of ‘two very tired teams’

Ohio State women’s soccer ties Wisconsin in contest of ‘two very tired teams’

Tim Kubick / For The Lantern

In its first stalemate of the season, the Ohio State women’s soccer team tied Wisconsin 0-0 in double overtime Sunday afternoon.
It’s the first tie game for the Buckeyes since they drew even in overtime against Illinois on Nov. 2 2011.
In the scoreless contest, OSU made a defensive stand against an aggressive Badgers offensive at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium.
Buckeyes defenders senior Kendyl Reed, junior Megan Fuller and senior Aly Walker each played the entire game.
Their long minutes on the field seemed to limit top Badgers scorers senior midfielder Monica Lam-Feist and junior forward Paige Adams to two shots each, relieving some of the pressure off the Buckeyes’ goalkeepers junior Rachel Middleman and freshman Jillian McVicker.
“We were trying to work as one and defend as one,” OSU senior defender Aly Walker said.
Lam-Feist and Adams have 47 combined shots at the goal on the season for the Badgers. Comparatively, OSU limited the Badgers to 12 total shots on the day, while combining for 15 shots of their own against Badgers junior goalkeeper Genevieve Richard, who had six saves on the day.
Five of those shots came from senior forward Tiffany Cameron who had a cross to sophomore midfielder Caroline Murray that nearly went in, but missed to the left.
Like Cameron, Murray and senior defender Lauren Granberg also each had two shots on the Badgers’ goal.
But neither player was able to meet twine.
“It’s unlucky that you get situations and you can’t put it in the back of the net,” Granberg said. “I don’t think we had as much attack as we would have liked.”
The Badgers had seven of their starters play the entire game, including all three of their defenders and goalkeeper Richard.
Similarly, the Buckeyes had five starters play the entire 110 minutes of the contest.
“You have to sub and try and keep fresh legs on the field. What you started to see here late in the game, especially in overtime, were two very tired teams,” Walker said. “(Wisconsin’s) defense has done a very good job to prevent other teams from scoring. I don’t think it was anything we did or didn’t do, it’s just the way it went.”
The Buckeyes (7-4-1) will have a week to rest, recover and practice before taking on the Purdue Boilermakers on Oct. 7 at 3 p.m. at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium.