Nancy’s Home Cooking lives up to its name and even shows promise to fill you up so much you’ll go in a food coma after licking up your plate.

The hole-in-the-wall diner along High Street is longer than it is wide, with just a single row of seats and a counter. However, the amount of food on the plate makes up for the lack of tables and seating.

The brick walls are covered in Ohio State décor and memorabilia, including photos of famous OSU alumni and newspaper clippings of the restaurant to share its charm and history with new customers.

Nancy’s is often packed on weekend mornings, feeding plenty of hungry college students who are looking for classic comfort food after a night of drinking. But my friend and I were the lone customers in the restaurant on a Wednesday afternoon.

The friendly staff joked with us as we weighed the pros and cons of ordering breakfast or dinner. We got a witty response of “Well, you’ll be in a food coma either way, so it just depends on breakfast coma or dinner coma.”

I opted for the breakfast coma of two scrambled eggs, bacon, home fries and Texas toast. The meal was prepared on an open grill. I could see everything being cooked from where I sat in the booth. My eggs were fluffy and my bacon was crisp. The home fries were my favorite as they were a mass of buttery, savory potatoes that could be the cure to any hangover.

My breakfast platter cost me a mere $6.95, which I consider a great price for a full meal and friendly service.

Nancy’s does offer different lunch specials throughout the week, such as beef-n-noodles and meatloaf on Wednesdays, which will also fill you up and put a smile on your face.   

Located at 3133 N.High St. and open 6 a.m.­ – 7 p.m. Monday – Thursday, 6 a.m. – 2:30 p.m. Friday – Saturday and 8 a.m. – 2:30 p.m. Sunday, Nancy’s is an ideal place to visit for weekend breakfast or a midday meal. However, anytime you go, make sure to block out some time after your meal for a nap to give your full belly some rest.

Grade: A-