Ty Segall looks like Ronnie “Sunshine” Bass from the movie “Remember the Titans,” but instead of throwing footballs, he plays fuzzy rock n’ roll music.
“Twins,” Segall’s newest album, is his sixth studio release over a brisk four-year span. That production alone is above-average for most music acts, but until you consider Segall’s side projects, such as a split LP with Mikal Cronin, another split LP with White Fence and a separate full-length record under the moniker “Ty Segall Band,” the scope of the rocker’s catalog does not come into focus.
He is the most prolific, if not most visible member of sunny San Fransisco’s like-minded psychedelic rock scene which also includes Thee Oh Sees, Sic Alps and Wooden Shjips.
Segall’s unabashed love for noise is obvious on “Twins.” Anyone who has plugged in an electric guitar to a hot amp knows that bashing away simply to create sound can thrill as much as the successful execution of a nimble solo. It lets inner emotion out of the body. It lets those emotions transform into sounds that speak for themselves.
Noise exploration, sometimes referred to negatively as “sonic noodling,” greets listeners at the start of “Twins.” But it isn’t long before Segall and his band snap into action and start playing music.
Raw lead guitar lines from Segall stand in front of the musical mix and pull the rest of the band forward like a train’s engine. The other parts of the band rattle along, never stepping out of line, to provide a backdrop for his often-frantic musical movements.
“The Hill” is grunge The Beatles. It is John, Paul, George and Ringo grown up in rainy Washington rather than rainy Liverpool. It’s The Beatles in T-shirts and jeans, playing instruments bought used at Guitar Center with money earned at a crappy minimum-wage job.
“Love Fuzz” and “Inside Your Heart” bop along like “Take it from the Man”-era Brian Jonestown Massacre.
“Twins” is neither a step forward or backward for Segall. For his fans and fans of the garage rock genre, that’s just where they want him.

Grade: B+